The Demon

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I rode it today and they have turned the lights in the tunnel back on.

Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
macman
Gulf Coaster

Post by macman »

Just got back from a visit today. The lights were on in the tunnel again. No waterfall though. They only had the black and yellow trains running. What happened to the red train? It wasn't on the storage track. Is it in maintenance or did they just do away with it completely? Chalk me up as another person happy to hear the old Demon soundtrack back. Unfortunately, it can't be heard throughout much of the queue over the din of the park's looping musical soundtrack (if I hear "Heaven is a Place on Earth" one more time I'll puke.) I'd also like to see the pre-lift tunnel misters and fog machine brought back. And the "blood" pool and eyes on the signage...unearth it from that grass mound!
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

jonrev wrote:I rode it today and they have turned the lights in the tunnel back on.

I've a question... How did you get in position to take that picture?
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

[quote="macman"]They only had the black and yellow trains running. What happened to the red train? It wasn't on the storage track. Is it in maintenance or did they just do away with it completely? quote]

The red train hasnt been on the trasnfer track all season as far as I know. The train is probably in maintenance because they need a third train on busy days.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I've a question... How did you get in position to take that picture?
The tunnel exits over the enterance to Southwest Territory and you can get a good view of the entire tunnel from there.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

I doubt we'll see Demons red train until after Eagle Red gets its second train.
As far as I know, the track where the waterfall is was worked on during the pre-season, and probably dont want to tamper with mist being sprayed on it right now.
da1gloc
Gulf Coaster

Post by da1gloc »

Im surprised to only see one post about the pool of blood under the red eyes on the old signage. To this day, thats the one thing that ill never forget about that ride.
G. Nagle

SFGA games employee from 88 thru 91

that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Since some people asked if the original TOC trains were the same today...

What would still be considered the original train, or even a new train?

What if they replace the wheel assmblies, the restraints, the cushioning, the seats, the restraint systems..., everything but the fiberglass cars? Does that make it new or original?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

The trains were replaced years ago. The original Demon trains had fake side vents (kind of like a Corvette's) and the current trains don't have one. If PGA ever removes their Demon I would like to see SFGAm get the trains from there.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Either way I guess, both trains have had the fiberglass changed from the original. Especially with the design of the regular cars (not the one in front), they have a sleek curved front instead of the orignal flat one.
jonrev wrote:The trains were replaced years ago. The original Demon trains had fake side vents (kind of like a Corvette's) and the current trains don't have one. If PGA ever removes their Demon I would like to see SFGAm get the trains from there.
By the way, why would you want SC's old trains? For the logo?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I believe Santa Clara is still running the Marriott-era trains (the 3D logo, flames on the sides, black restraints, etc.) so IF it closed I would like to see SFGAm get them and replace the current trains.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Also, just remembered, The Demon logo on the front of the train in Santa Clara has changed from the originally twice from what I understand:

From this (red eyes):
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/rid ... mon022.jpg

To this (yellow eyes, white teeth):
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN

To today (white eyes, white teeth) Which I don't have a pci to show...

Anyways, why would they cahnge it?
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

PGA is doing an awesome job taking care of Demon's trains. During either the 2004 or 2005 off season, they repainted each train it's color(red, orange, and yellow) respectively. And also added the awesome looking flames on each car. They still use all three trains, just not at the same time. I believe they always use the black/red train, and alternate between the yellow/black, and orange/black train. Finally PGA did something nice for Demon that SFGam didn't do.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

dpxtreme wrote:PGA is doing an awesome job taking care of Demon's trains. During either the 2004 or 2005 off season, they repainted each train it's color(red, orange, and yellow) respectively. And also added the awesome looking flames on each car. They still use all three trains, just not at the same time. I believe they always use the black/red train, and alternate between the yellow/black, and orange/black train. Finally PGA did something nice for Demon that SFGam didn't do.
Yes I must agree and add that it has one of the cleanest queues in the park, especially compared to Invertigo across the Midway...

Pic (not sure if the link will work):

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/ ... h=imgAnch1
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Yeah, Invertigo's queue line is nasty, but at least it doesn't have a puke smell like Vortex's queue line has had for the past 2 years. Even though Demon's thememing has dramatically dissapeared, the upkeep of the ride is awesome.