No Dark Rides at Marriott's Great America

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

No Dark Rides at Marriott's Great America

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Anyone ever notice there wasn't a single dark ride at Marriott's Great America. Even today PGA doesn't have one. I always thought with the americana theming it would've been really cool. That was one thing I always found lacking with MGA.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
ImagineerFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by ImagineerFan »

You beat me to the punch.

I too thought that some sort of dark ride would fit nicely at Marriott's. In particular Theater Royale would have made for a nice show building. A hounted house would have been nice and fit in nicely within Orleans Place.

When the park first opened in 1976, there was a two page ad in the Sunday Milwaukee Journal; I might even still have it with the MGA stuff. The ad featured a line art map of the enitre park. It was quite detailed and all of the buildings were drawn in a top down perspective. I tried to pick out what each buildings function was in the show. The buildings along the front edge of Orleans Place looked like they could house a dark ride, or so I thought a haunted house. Instead there was the Rue La Dodge and some stores. Later on the Pirates Alley shooting gallery opened up.
akorbel
Gulf Coaster

Post by akorbel »

The Demon seems like it was an attempt to try a few dark ride elements. The only reason I can imagine they didn't do more is because their marketing studies determined that wasn't going to make them as much profit as traditional rides :(
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

I'd be curious if the dark rides at other theme parks were successful or not.

I remember the original three Six Flags parks had them; Speelunker's Cave, Monster Plantation, etc. There was also Knott's Bear-y Tales at Knott's Berry Farm, Enchanted Voyage at Kings Island and the Alpine Sleigh Ride at AstroWorld.

Come to think of it a lot of these are gone now with the exception of Monster Plantation and the Speelunker Cave re-do.