Guess the ride under construction ... :)

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Guess the ride under construction ... :)

Post by RandyV »

From Gurnee ... this is probably too easy ...

Randy

steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Z-Force?

Steven
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I believe Steve is correct with ZForce. On the right side of the picture are the Admin buildings, and near the left side, you can see the cement wall that was part of the queue for the Swings.

While it is the same site, its not Iron Wolf, as they used the same station for that coaster. In this picture, no station is built yet, so I'll say Z-Force as well.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Z-Force. The dip before the lift gives it away.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Obviously, everyone is correct. Like I said, that was way too easy for this group. :)

I always thought Z-Force was a great ride. If nothing else, it was very unique at the time.

I had the opportunity to ride it again much later in its life at Magic Mountain in 1996 and it was a total disaster. The trains were worn out, the track wasn't painted nicely and the ride itself was really, really rough. Very unfortunate it wasn't maintained better over the years.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

The red trains for Flashback look quite different than early blue Z Force trains. Does anyone know if Flashback received brand new trains or were the original trains redone with new bodies.

Here is a red Flashback train
http://www.rcdb.com/ig128.htm?picture=10
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

redfishpaw wrote:The red trains for Flashback look quite different than early blue Z Force trains. Does anyone know if Flashback received brand new trains or were the original trains redone with new bodies.
I don't know for sure. I do know the trains at MGA received an upgrade while it was still there. Specifically, the shoulder harnesses were changed from a foam-covered round tube to hard plastic ones that absolutley killed your ears as you head moved around. It really made the ride tough to handle if you weren't careful. The red trains in the Flashback picture were never used at MGA.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Z-Force was never really a Marriott ride as it opened after the Marriott / Six Flags change.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Hey Randy V,

Any other construction photos from the park you can share with us? The Z Force picture you posted is daunting, eerie, but very cool.