Traffique Jam/Barney Oldfield

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Traffique Jam/Barney Oldfield

Post by dth1971 »

How can you explain differences between Traffique Jam and Barney Oldfield Speedway? Both are drive your own car rides.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

It is true that both are "drive you own cars" but what made them different is the kinds of cars that you drove, and the area in which you drove them in.

In Traffique Jam, the cars held up to 4 people (two in the front, and two in the back), and they looked more like a Model T then the cars on the Barney Oldfield Speedway. The course for Traffique Jam was more like driving in the country, and had a few hills and I believe some kind of bridge. Today, the cars that ran at the Gurnee park can now be found at Knoebels in Eysburg, PA. (a picture and more info can be found here http://www.knoebels.com/family.htm#antiquecars)

Barney Oldfield Speedway is more like driving a race car. Each car holds up to 2 people. When it first opened, the course was more of a figure-8, and had a bridge crossing in the middle of the 8. It also had 3 tracks side-by-side. When Splash Water falls was added in the mid 80's, the course changed to be more or less a big circle around Splash Water Falls. The number of tracks was also reduced from 3 down to 2.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

When I was young, Traffique Jam was a favorite of mine. It was fun to go on each of the three lanes because they were each slightly different that the other. Yes, there was a bridge in the middle (perhaps two). One of the lanes even went around Orleans Orbit. This was only possible because Orleans Orbit was raised up on a concrete pedistal. The Traffique Jam lane went around it at ground level. I still remember the day I discovered that the Traffique Jam had been removed. I was quite disappointed.
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

I swear that I saw a Traffique Jam car back in 2006 during fright fest on the train. They used some sort of car as the getaway car it had a roof and was green.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
sfgam
Gulf Coaster

Post by sfgam »

They use the trafique jam cars in parades.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I never saw them in parades
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
sfgam
Gulf Coaster

Post by sfgam »

Wait, no, i saw the barney oldfield cars in the parade. I saw a Trafique Jam car as a Fright Fest decoration.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

In Necropolis?
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
sfgam
Gulf Coaster

Post by sfgam »

^yeah
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Six Flags turned the Scenic Railway into Hold Up Express for Fright Fest 2007, and used a rebuilt Traffique Jam car and a "performance" Great America Raceway car.

Six Flags supposedly still has several Traffique Jam cars that are used for parts on Raceway. The one built for Hold Up Express is a mix of parts from several cars, and has a newly-built roof. The police car had no restrictions on its motor so it could travel much faster than the normal Raceway cars.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007