Pics of Marriott's (Gurnee) in 1983

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
NikkiJ8605
Gulf Coaster

Pics of Marriott's (Gurnee) in 1983

Post by NikkiJ8605 »

Hey all!! I found those pics at my mom's house and I didn't realize she had these ones from 1983 as well (I went to look for the ones from 1989, which I also found and will post next!) I really want to share these pics with you all. I've really enjoyed everything you have all shared so far about the parks :D Hope you enjoy them! As always, you can click on these to see them larger (you prob. knew that already, but I want to make sure you see them as best as possible!)

an exit path from a ride, but I have no idea which one

being loaded onto (or off of) the Southern Cross (is that what is was called in 1983?) Well anyway, it's that ride.

Tidal Wave taken from Southern Cross (or whatever it was called then)

i don't know what this is a pic of...a parade maybe? I thought you guys would know.

same thing about the parade
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Nikki,

Thanks for sharing those! Here are some comments...

That's a great view of the first drop of the American Eagle.

The ride exit photo is of The Edge.

The skyride station is the Delta Flyer, but the really surprising thing is to see that the Southern Cross cabins had been put onto Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight. You can tell this by the double black rail around the cabins. Southern Cross was the only skyride I ever saw that had those specific double rails on the cabins. Also, I never knew that the cabins had been painted with those additional colors as seen in the on-board view. In the shot of the Tidal Wave from the skyride, you can see a couple of the Southern Cross towers. It looks like the cable is already gone from Southern Cross, although it might just be the photo.

That's a cool photo of the lights in the Demon's tunnel.

Those night shots are of the parade.

Thanks again!

Steven
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Great pictures, Nikki. Thanks for sharing!
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

In the Edge photo, what is that white bar going along the top? It looks like a monorail track, but I know MGAm didn't have a monorail.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

That's just the top of a fence.

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

The ''fence'' confused me as well, I also thought it was part of a ride, so I was not able place this photo earlier.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

NikkiJ8605,

Thanks for sharing those pictures from the 1983 season.

Touching on a topic about the metal things at the top of Eagle's lift, you can see in the picture that you took that they were indeed some kind of breaking system. If you notice, you can see a row of break pads running above the metal bar. Also, behind the break pads are some round things that would have been the compressors for the breaks. Also, you can see that they are probably in use at the time the picture was taken, as there is a black hose running from the round things down to below the track level (probably going to some kind of air compressor or something).

The picture of the speedway is cool as well, as it shows the orginial layout, and using all three tracks.

I also like the on-ride picture of Demon in the tunnel. At that time, the lights went all the way around the car (even above you). It's to bad the park had to remove the lights from the top of the tunnel.

Steven, in regards to the southen cross, going by the dates on the pictures (1983 season), the ride was closed at that point, as I believe it was closed for good in either 1981 or 1982. But, I knew the towers for the ride were left behind for quite a few years afterwards.

Again, thanks for sharing the pictures! :D
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

The lights in the tunnel are still there, they just never use them. :cry: :evil:
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
NikkiJ8605
Gulf Coaster

Post by NikkiJ8605 »

My pleasure! I'm glad that you are enjoying the pictures. Thanks to you guys also for all the additional information on these pictures that have been around since I was 1 and a half years old :) It's cool to know that the exit path is from The Edge, which I obviously never got to ride. I really wish I was older and I could remember Marriott's. However, thanks to you guys and this WONDERFUL site (keep it up Steve! :D), I am learning all sorts of neat things! Brian, thanks to you I FINALLY know what's up with "those rail things" (as I've always referred to them) at the top of the Eagle hill. Thanks again for the info and looking at the pics.

P.S. jonrev, it does suck that they don't use the lights in the Demon tunnel anymore :evil: Also, I received an email the other day saying that I am now a member of usergroup "gallery2" and I noticed that you are also in it. What does it mean to be in a usergroup? Is it based on how long we've been members or something (we joined this site the same day, but you have way more posts than I do). Just curious!! :)
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I'm not very sure. I was added to that when I made a photo album, so it may have something to do with the user photo gallery.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
zingme
Buzzy Bee

Post by zingme »

BrianPlencner (or Steve) -

I've seen many posts regarding the "breaking system" at the top of the Eagle on this site before. Has there been any resolution as to what exactly these are for?

From what I remember, the first few years that the Eagle was running, the trains would actually "race" (as it is, obviously, a "racing" roller coaster!). Is it possible that this system would "stall" one train so it would wait for the other train to crest the hill? This way, the operators could start both trains at the same time?

I remember that often you'd see one train "stalled out" at the top of the hill. However, I don't remember this happening when I was actually on the ride - of course, I would have been too excited to remember this happening anyway.

Perhaps there is another thread resolving this mystery already. If so, ignore this post (or point me in the right direction...)
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

You mean a braking system to differ the results or to make the trains even at the top of the lift hill? I am still confused about what they are, I always hear they are some sort of braking system but never what they were for…
zingme
Buzzy Bee

Post by zingme »

I'm speculating that the system attempted to make the trains "even" at the top of the hill. Then, they'd let them go at the same time - like a Hot Wheels matchbox car racetrack.

I too have seen many threads here regarding the brakes, but have never figured out what they are for, exactly. If the brakes are gone now, it would make sense as the trains rarely seem "even" at the top of the hill anymore.
aejanis
Gulf Coaster

Post by aejanis »

The American Eagle did stop at the top, I remember it very well.

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... .php?t=105