Sky Whirls Replacment

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

It made me so mad when they tore out the Sky Whirl in Gurnee. I was only nine when they tore it out in 2000. I think that tearing out that and the haybaler was the worst decsions that Six Flags has ever made. Now it is 2008 and the ride that is standing in their place is now getting taken down and being turn into grass or in 2009 a different ride. :(
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

.....and they're also tearing down Splash Water Falls a.k.a. the ride that the guy died on recently while trying to dimantle it. I wonder what's going to go in both of their spots.
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Yeah I know that they are tearing it down. I would have to say a new roller coaster would be put in their spots. Since they are tearing out splash waterfalls could the great america raceway be in trouble too? I would hope not.
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

Great American Raceway is a family, classic ride that they would not get rid of. But it's SixFlags so you never know. I'm not saying anything bad about Six Flags though but I really hope they don't get ride of GAR. I really want a coaster in Vu's/SWF's spot!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

I don't think it is going to happen but if they would then that would be a shame that they would tear out that ride. You are right it is a family classic.
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

I use to ride that ride when I was a kid a remember seeing it eevrytime I walk pass it. Same with SSA, it's going to be a sham to see that go this year! :cry:

yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Yeah I also remember riding the Sky Whirl when I was a kid. They tore it out when I was nine years old. Since they tore it out I would never go on Deja Vu because it took Sky Whirl's place. :evil:
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

.....and now somethign else is about to take Vu's spot. I remember riding Sky Whirl as a kid as well. It was pretty fun!

dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

I hated the Sky Whirl in Santa Clara. Then again, I've always disliked all forms of ferris wheels. I think they're boring and a waste of space. And being inside those cages were kind of awkward.
Robman97
Gulf Coaster

Post by Robman97 »

Ya it must have been kinda werid to be in a cage but hey look at the little kids ride called Tweetys cage or somthing like that at SFMM and the little kids reallly do ride in cage.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

dpxtreme wrote:I hated the Sky Whirl in Santa Clara. Then again, I've always disliked all forms of ferris wheels. I think they're boring and a waste of space. And being inside those cages were kind of awkward.
Aww, how could you say that? This ride was history, and now they're almost extinct. I have memories of riding Sky Whirl with my family and it was so much fun getting to look around the whole park with that loud whirring. But then again, you said you hate ferris wheels. Instead, Grizzly should have been sacrificed to make way for Invertigo, because Grizzly is just crap.
I miss Tidal Wave
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Why would anyone want to hate the Sky Whirl? :?
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

yankee Clipper91 wrote:Why would anyone want to hate the Sky Whirl? :?
I don't know, maybe people who were victims of motion sickeness. I'm sure people that got sick on it, probably hated it because it was nearly nonstop. However, for people that could handle it, the ride was very fun.
I miss Tidal Wave
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Well I am not a victim of motion sickness. I can handle anything pretty much. I don't think I have ever thrown up on ride. :D
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

^Which is probably why you loved it so much. But of course, not everyone has stomachs of steel. My mom for one, she used to be able to ride Sky Whirl with no problems. But then she started to lose it a little, and if it were still standing, she'd probably get sick on it. Eh, it probably got to everyone sooner or later.
I miss Tidal Wave