Tidal Wave Question

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Tidal Wave Question

Post by m11stephen2 »

In this picture why does tidal wave have cat walks around the loop area of the ride? Is this because it didnt have enough power to go through the loop sometimes?

that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

yeah, sometimes it wouldn't launch correctly and would get stuck between the loop and the far incline of the ride, making it easier to evacuate the catwalk was installed. There is a topic that covers this but i can't seem to find it at the moment…
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

Originally they didn't have the cat walk and made evacuating people when the train got stuck on the wrong side of the loop. Why would it get stuck on the other side of the loop? When the operator pressed the button the fired the catapult the ride would check the status of a series of relays. If a relay was not set correctly, the brakes would come on to stop the train. If it was one of the last relays that was set wrong, it would put the brakes on to late. So, instead of stoping the train, the brakes would just slow down the train enough so that it could only make it one way through the loop. This didn't happen very often, but once in a great while it would.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Did Marriott have a choice between flywheel and weight drop launches when they bought them or was the flywheel launch not an option?
Last edited by that_guy on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

I think they did at least for the one at gurnee. If it just became available in 1978 they probably didnt want to do that because they would be different then.
NotBill
Yankee Clipper

Post by NotBill »

I had a lot of friends on Wave crew and I can't remember but I may have even done attendant training on Wave when I was Lead over at Lobster/Gig, can't remember but I remember a lot about the ride operations.

On Wave if you hit the e-stop at the wrong time it was possible to hang a train so that it didn't have enough momentum to make it back through the loop and this happened once when I was there.

Basically the Wave is a giant slingshot -- big weight in the tower, cable comes back to the pusher that is at the back of the train (it even had a name, I forget what it was though). Anyway, if you hit the e-stop and the train was past a certain point the pusher would disconnect from the cable stopping all pushing but not the train itself since obviously there is only one brake on the Wave and that was the station brake.

Anyway, someone hit the e-stop at the wrong point once and the train couldn't make it back through. Worst of all, they couldn't get it to stop moving because it just kept moving back and forht between the forward spire and the loop. Eventually they got a whole bunch of towels to put out on the track for it to run over and slowed down to the point they could evacuate that train to the catwalk mentioned.

--Guy
Guy Finley
aka "Bill" Finley
SFGAm Employee 1988 - 1992
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Towels? Wouldn't they get caught in the wheel assembly and practically rip them apart?
NotBill
Yankee Clipper

Post by NotBill »

That was the idea, they would stack a bunch of towels together and place them on the track to get run over by the train, gradually they were able to bring the train to a stop with enough towels.
Guy Finley
aka "Bill" Finley
SFGAm Employee 1988 - 1992
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

lol, I guess, I wouldn't have had a better idea except wait
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

hey there notbill....trying to remember who you are....i was at the park the same time you were, but can't quite put a name to a face. i worked up at t-wave in 87 and 88 and i was one of the opening year leads up at power dive/cajun in 1989, worked the commercial shoot of shock wave in 88...blah, blah, blah......

anyhoo, the name of the pusher was oscar.

yes...it sounds like a very bad idea to put towels on the track, but that WAS the only way to stop the train from rocking back and forth. i was actually working up on t-wave on a day that it happened.

for some strange reason the ride had a habit of giving itself a "ride initiated e-stop"every so often during the years i worked up there. no e-stops were ever hit that day....and just as luck would have it, the brakes closed just at the right point to slow the train enough that it would make it thru the loop, but there wouldn't be enough momentum to make it back thru. after talking to the mechanics about it, if the brakes are closed half way thru the second to last car, that's all it needs to slow it down enough for the train to not make it back.
Todd Doerge
SFGA 1986-1993, 2001-current
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

okay...my bad at typing and editing...LOL!! that should be lead at dive/cajun in 87....LOL! rolling dumpster debuted in 89....
Todd Doerge
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

UAORDStew wrote:
....and just as luck would have it, the brakes closed just at the right point to slow the train enough that it would make it thru the loop, but there wouldn't be enough momentum to make it back thru. . . .
And the results looked like this:
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... m=33&pos=5

And although the braking problem occured more than once, I believe this picture was taken the day the cable broke during launch, and the counterweight fell in the tower, slamming to the base. The impact felt like a small earthquake in the immediate area of the park, and the noise was very strange. Scared a bunch of people working in Music Hall!

I happened to be in the shop when we heard & felt the impact, and the "Signal 2- Tidal Wave-" call came over the radio, so I grabbed my camera, and climbed up our radio tower to get on the roof of the utility building. I had a pretty good view of the evacuation, except for a few trees in the way.

It took a few weeks to get the ride repaired and operational again. I don't remember if I have any more pictures of this incident, but I'll keep looking.

PPG
Last edited by Tech Services 1 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
nedge32
Buzzy Bee

Post by nedge32 »

cool picture! thanks for sharing :D
Six Flags Great America Operations Employee
1995-1997, 045 American Eagle
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

thanks for the pic tech services1.....ha ha ha...brings back memories.

as for the cable snapping, i remember back in 87 when that happened and the train "rang the bell". thank god no one was onboard the train at the time. the ride had one of it's "ride initiated e-stops" and maintenance was sending empty trains to see if it would happen again. a usual practice during a downtime to try and re-create/re-initiate the situation. well, i remember standing outside show wardrobe and hearing the train being launched. it sounded very strange and louder than normal, then came the snap of the cable, the loud bang and shaking of the ground from the counterweight in the tower and then i remember standing there watching the train go FLYING through the loop and up the front wave, striking the bumper (hence "ring the bell") at the top of the front wave. the impact was so great that the entire front car was complete demolished, the fiberglass front end came crashing down and landed ontop of a park garbage can that was situated in the employee backstage area. that was smooshed to bits. the second car in the train was also damaged. as i mention, fortunately no one was in the train otherwise there would have been certain death and injury. the disbaled train BARELY made it back thru the loop and stoppped on the runway. i remember there was a group of us that just stood out in the service corridor and watched in horror. i was to have worked up at the t-wave the next day, but the train was already taken apart and placed on the ground. i can't remember how long it was down, but it was for a LONG time.
Todd Doerge
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

UAORDStew wrote:thanks for the pic tech services1.....ha ha ha...brings back memories.

as for the cable snapping, i remember back in 87 when that happened and the train "rang the bell". thank god no one was onboard the train at the time. the ride had one of it's "ride initiated e-stops" and maintenance was sending empty trains to see if it would happen again. a usual practice during a downtime to try and re-create/re-initiate the situation. well, i remember standing outside show wardrobe and hearing the train being launched. it sounded very strange and louder than normal, then came the snap of the cable, the loud bang and shaking of the ground from the counterweight in the tower and then i remember standing there watching the train go FLYING through the loop and up the front wave, striking the bumper (hence "ring the bell") at the top of the front wave. the impact was so great that the entire front car was complete demolished, the fiberglass front end came crashing down and landed ontop of a park garbage can that was situated in the employee backstage area. that was smooshed to bits. the second car in the train was also damaged. as i mention, fortunately no one was in the train otherwise there would have been certain death and injury. the disbaled train BARELY made it back thru the loop and stoppped on the runway. i remember there was a group of us that just stood out in the service corridor and watched in horror. i was to have worked up at the t-wave the next day, but the train was already taken apart and placed on the ground. i can't remember how long it was down, but it was for a LONG time.
Todd! I remember you! :-) Welcome to the boards!
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999