Demon Tunnel Lights

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
coolwavepic
Gulf Coaster

Demon Tunnel Lights

Post by coolwavepic »

This is my first post and just want to let everyone know that when i was a kid I used to be able to go to both parks so I remember both parks somewhat well.

My question is I remember The Demon coaster when going through the tunnel had lights flashing that made it really cool. Last time I was at teh SC was 1992(?) and when I went on the Demon there they never had the lights in the tunnel. I was just wondering if the lights are working these days.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

nope, I don't even think their are lightbulbs still in the tunnel...but their are some (in my eyes crapy) rope lights in the first tunnel that go to the newer audio track...

There is a modern onride video of the SC Demon on this page showing whats left (but the audio in the first tunnel sounds different then the usual evil voice thingy):

http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/onride_videos/
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

well at Gurnee there are still tunnel lights but none on the "celing" of the tunnel though
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Some of the top lights are still there but a bunch of jackasses thought it would be "funny" to toss rocks at them and break them (and I believe some of the glass injured some riders). So they are turned off and they re-programmed the light cycle in there so that only the side lights work now.

Some morons really - me off.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

jonrev wrote:Some of the top lights are still there but a bunch of jackasses thought it would be "funny" to toss rocks at them and break them (and I believe some of the glass injured some riders). So they are turned off and they re-programmed the light cycle in there so that only the side lights work now.

I would think the rocks would hurt more than the glass in some cases
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

that_guy wrote:
jonrev wrote:Some of the top lights are still there but a bunch of jackasses thought it would be "funny" to toss rocks at them and break them (and I believe some of the glass injured some riders). So they are turned off and they re-programmed the light cycle in there so that only the side lights work now.

I would think the rocks would hurt more than the glass in some cases

Either way, I agree. Jackasses and Morons!

They always end up ruining stuff for the rest of us. I guess some are just so full of themselves that they don't understand how their actions will adversely affect others.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

I'd love to see one of the parks figure out a way to re-work the light tunnel so that people couldn't damage the lights... I'm sure there is much better technology out there now where they wouldn't have to use those types of bulbs. Maybe re-build the tunnel so it's a little higher and put some fancy light show in there. The ride needs that effect.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

RLAiello wrote:I'd love to see one of the parks figure out a way to re-work the light tunnel so that people couldn't damage the lights... I'm sure there is much better technology out there now where they wouldn't have to use those types of bulbs. Maybe re-build the tunnel so it's a little higher and put some fancy light show in there. The ride needs that effect.
I'm sure it would be very easy to put a clear plexi cover over them. It might take some regular cleaning to keep it looking great, but shouldn't be that hard to do.

I thought they had done that already. I guess not.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

It would work but it may mess up the effect with glare.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I was thinking advanced ropelights, but I'm not sure how nice they can make those look, either way i'm happy that the Gurnee park still has some lights...
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

jonrev wrote:It would work but it may mess up the effect with glare.
How about a custom made plexi/with a "V" shape for each row of lights so that as the train enters the tunnel the rider is looking straight at the rows of lights?

Possible?
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Post by ewilson »

Best yet would be to use LED displays (no glass) and could do high resolution video to make it feel as if you were spinning, going faster, or scenery of; Broadway, Grand Canyon, flying, space, rapids, etc. Each time you ride it could be different.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I like that last concept.. Kinda like the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas (just think, on Halloween, the lights could change into Flame :-) )

That said, I wonder, concerning the Demon, how much longer do you think it will be before it is taken out at both parks? As it grows older, it will be more costly to maintain. I recall that one incident where the ride got stuck, but that was really something that could have happened on ANY ride.

This ride WAS losing popularity, I even remember being able to ride it 5 times in a row during a normal summer afternoon in the early 90's, but it seems that the last couple of times I went to GA the lines for the Demon had grown back to what they were in the early 80's (saw a line time about 75 minutes).
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I only wish it lasts a LONG time! I am not sure how the lines are for the SC Demon on a usual summer afternoon, I'm never there, I always take AT LEAST 5 rides in the back before heading for Invertigo and then elsewhere. The longest lines I have seen is between the first and second loop (not using extra wait area on the side) like next to the first small staircase (you would have to have been there to know), and that was when I was with the school in the 2005 season...otherwise I have always seen like 10 people in the loading platform early morning. The Grizzly on the other hand, has like no one on the loading platform practically, I was able to catch a whole train with my sister in the front seat one morning. but I digress... :D
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Since you guys brought up the santa clara Demon, when I went on a saturday in late october, there was no line, but in the summer in can be a good 30 minute wait or longer. So I think the ride is still popular enough for them to keep. And yes, like most of you, I hope both parks keep the Demon for many more years.