Southern Cross?

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
coolwavepic
Gulf Coaster

Southern Cross?

Post by coolwavepic »

Hey after reading about the Southern Cross being one of the tallest sky rides, I was wondering if this ride ever visited Magic Mountain. When MM had a sky ride it was one of the tallest ones I have ever seen. Was this ride transported to MM?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Probably not. After the SC was removed the cars were sent to Great Adventure in NJ and the towers were chopped up.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

One thing I've always wondered when I was a kid was HOW the sky rides operated...

For those people who did maintenance on the sky rides, exactly how often would they "break down"... I know they couldn't be operated on windy days....

BTW Steve, thanks for the pictures of the "Southern Cross"... I don't recall riding that one, but Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight used to be one of my favorite sky rides.

BTW, when were the Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight taken out of operation at SFGA? I think Southern Cross was first but I'm not really sure....
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Glorfindel7 wrote:One thing I've always wondered when I was a kid was HOW the sky rides operated...

For those people who did maintenance on the sky rides, exactly how often would they "break down"... I know they couldn't be operated on windy days....

BTW Steve, thanks for the pictures of the "Southern Cross"... I don't recall riding that one, but Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight used to be one of my favorite sky rides.

BTW, when were the Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight taken out of operation at SFGA? I think Southern Cross was first but I'm not really sure....
Southern Cross was first and closed in 1982, and Delta Flyer/ Eagle's Flight closed in either 1984 or 85
I am still wondering why the wires were allowed to sag so much (I have asked many times in the below topic...)
Just in case you haven't noticed, theres more info here:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... sc&start=0
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!