White Water Rampage construction

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

White Water Rampage construction

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Well, I've finally found time to scan and post some pictures of the Rampage's construction. They're in a new folder in my gallery.

I tried to pick the most interesting shots, showing different views and stages of construction; these are around 25% of my collection for this ride.

Several images are made up of two or three prints spliced together to simulate a 'panoramic' view. The quality of these may not be the best, because I had to scan them at a low dpi to meet the upload limits.

You'll also note many of the pics were taken from the top of the Logger's Run lift.

I hope you like 'em!

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Great Pictures!

What I like about the consturction of that ride (and Eagle too), was the massive size of the project. In looking at all the photos, you really see how much work was put into it.

I also want to also comment on the other additions to your photo gallery. The pictures of the Pictorum are really great! I've always wanted to see what the projector looked like, so thanks for sharing! :)
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I really enjoy all of your photos tremendously! Thanks for sharing them.

I especially like this 1976 aerial:
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... p?pos=-406

It seems that all Gurnee 1976 aerials never show enough of Orleans Place to allow a glimpse of the Gulf Coaster. There are still some doubting Thomases out there who are not convinced that it was really there! The 1976 Gurnee park map shows it, though. :) A while ago, someone emailed me some home movie footage of the Gurnee Gulf Coaster. The proof that it was really the Gurnee installation and not Santa Clara's was that cars from Traffique Jam were seen passing by in the background.

Two rare Gurnee rides are visible in that photo if you know where to look: Saskatchewan Scrambler (later Hometown Fun Machine) and Spinnaker.

Steven
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I agree with Steve, the 1976 shot is a cool one. In fact, I knew it was from 1976 as I did see Spinnaker in it, and the towers from Souther Cross are missing.

Speaking of Spinnaker, are you planning on doing a page for that ride Steven?

Keep the pictures coming Tech Services 1! :D
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photos Tech Services 1, thanks for posting them. I remember that wall which fenced off the construction area for White Water Rampage. At the time I was upset over the loss of Traffique Jam. I also like your winter photos. I wish I had taken some over the years.

Also, I love the aerial. In addition to the two rides Steven mentioned I found it interesting to see the Hiltopper, the open circus tent and the two kiddie rides in county fair. Finally, to the right of the Eagles flight station there is a red and white roof/tent. Not sure this was for because I dont believe they had the ferris wheel as early as 1976.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

steven wrote:A while ago, someone emailed me some home movie footage of the Gurnee Gulf Coaster. The proof that it was really the Gurnee installation and not Santa Clara's was that cars from Traffique Jam were seen passing by in the background.
Could you please post a link to the Gulf Coaster video?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Great pictures Tech Services 1!
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks for posting the recent Orleans Place aireal Tech Services 1. This is the best that I've seen. I find it interesting to compare these two photos below, before and after (during demo). When I first saw the demo pic, I was a bit confused. But, then your recent aerial post (before) clarifed everything. Brings back memories. Thanks again!

Before
:arrow: http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... at=1&pos=4

After
:arrow:
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... t=1&pos=44

SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Was part of the line structure used for the bridge for the White Water Rampage brige?
macman
Gulf Coaster

Post by macman »

Having ridden the Gulf Coaster, I too would like to see that footage if it is posted somewhere.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Thats really cool. Even though it was a kiddie cosaster what did you think of it?