Turn of the Century - Demon make-over

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Re: Turn of the Century - Demon make-over

Post by RandyV »

Shockwavegirl wrote:That didn't entirely fix the problem.....the axels still required much maitenance even in my employment days....in fact the year after I stopped working there in '98, the first day the park opened that year, the axel snapped thus trapping the train in the middle of the second loop. Major news that year. In fact I had fun torturing my physics teacher about it, as it was 2 weeks before physics day, and she had just finished teaching us that it was againts the laws of physics for a train to get stuck upsidedown and couldn't happen!
Didn't Shockwave have a problem with axels and/or tires? I seem to recall when the ride opened that it had the smaller diameter wheels (similar to the Demon trains) but after a few seasons Arrow updated the wheels to a much larger wheel because of heat build up.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

Ummm....I can't really discuss problems on Shockwave relevent to the period I worked there....signed a contract when I was hired.....but I can tell you that the trains were EXACTLY alike, except Demon has 5 cars, and Shockwave had 7.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

The Gurnee Demon only has 5 cars? I thought it had 6, or at least the Santa Clara park does
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

Yep, I stand corrected it is 6 cars on the train. Besides the Gurnee trains are different than the SC trains. The SC trains are the original Demon style and Gurnee went with a different style after a time. But it is still 6 cars per train.