The Life of Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight / Southern Cross

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

JW65 wrote:Hey Coasterfan,

Thanks for your reply...seems odd that ski lifts aren't removed for the same reason too. There is a sky ride still in operation in Milwaukee at their "SummerFest". It has been a few years since I rode it, but it brought back fond memories.
This is the skyride at Summerfest in Milwaukee
http://www.pbase.com/orbyth/image/46081924

There is also a skyride at the nearby Wisconsin State Fair grounds
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Redfishpaw,

Thanks for the link to the picture of the skyride in Milwaukee!
ImagineerFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by ImagineerFan »

Besides the SkyGliders on the Summerfest grounds and Wisconsin State Fair park, there is a new installation at the Milwaukee County Zoo. I guess Milwaukean's really like sky rides.

I too recall the incident at Six Flags Over Mid America. The date does not come to mind. My recollections have it that the cable did not snap, but that a bucket failed and plunged. I believe it was an Intamin/Von Roll ride system, like most of the other bucket types. Besides this accident it would seem that high maintenance costs could be contributor to their demise.

The two installations at the Disney parks here in the US both had incidents prior to removal, the one at the Magic Kingdom proved fatal. I believe that Disney legal had a hand in their removal. Subsequently, Tokyo Disneyland removed theirs as well.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

ImagineerFan wrote:Besides the SkyGliders on the Summerfest grounds and Wisconsin State Fair park, there is a new installation at the Milwaukee County Zoo. I guess Milwaukean's really like sky rides.
I didn't know about the installation at the Milwaukee zoo.
So, I checked it out and found these photos dated july 2005.
It is the old Poma double from Temple Mtn. OR.- 3rd time relocated.

segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

[quote="SFGAmLover"]Thanks for the link, Tanya! That sky ride appears to be very similar to Waldameer Park's (Erie, PA) ride (same manufacturer?). quote]

I bet one thing that the Boardwalk's one has that the Waldamerr Park doesn't have is the caveman and cave woman. One car has the caveman riding on it and another has a cavewoman on it.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

redfishpaw wrote:Here is a more recent view of the Delta Flyer Station in SC

http://www.pbase.com/suresh2/image/5082365

For me, this kinda brings back old memories of Gurnee.
I do not believe the Gurnee station was reused
for anything. It being boarded up for a year or so.
Then it was torn down and the space stood empty
for a while until Condor was installed.
Actually they took the station out when they built the Shock Wave station and the "Delta Flyer," which was actually the Saskatchewan Scrambler renamed and rethemed. Now the Condor sits on that site.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

RLAiello wrote:
Actually they took the station out when they built the Shock Wave station and the "Delta Flyer," which was actually the Saskatchewan Scrambler renamed and rethemed. Now the Condor sits on that site.

Rick,

I know you worked at the park in the late 80's like I did, but I believe you are a bit incorrect in your above statement.

When the Eagles Flight / Delta Flyer sky ride was removed, the building on the Delta Flyer side (in Orleans Place) was removed, and the Yukon Yahoo (Bayern-Kurve ride, located in Yukon Territory) was moved into that location. The Yukon theming was removed (the barn like structure you would go through at the top of the ride), and the name was changed to Delta Flyer. It remained in this location thru the 1990 season. In 1991, the Bayern-Kurve was removed, and Condor was added in its place.

Saskatchewan Scrambler was also located in Yukon Territory, and it was moved to a new location in the park. It is now the Hometown Fun Machine in Hometown Square. On the Ride Certification badges, it was listed as HTFM.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

RLAiello wrote:
redfishpaw wrote:Here is a more recent view of the Delta Flyer Station in SC

http://www.pbase.com/suresh2/image/5082365

For me, this kinda brings back old memories of Gurnee.
I do not believe the Gurnee station was reused
for anything. It being boarded up for a year or so.
Then it was torn down and the space stood empty
for a while until Condor was installed.

I had forgotten about the Yukon Yahoo being relocated to this area. I remember it now. The skyride station was not torn down right away I do recall seeing it boarded up for a while. I also remember when condor was installed after Yukon Yahoo/Delta Flyer Being removed. It was one of those low budget years.

p.s. Rick, did you know that you joined this forum twice, member 14 & 64.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

BrianPlencner wrote:
RLAiello wrote:
Rick,

I know you worked at the park in the late 80's like I did, but I believe you are a bit incorrect in your above statement.

When the Eagles Flight / Delta Flyer sky ride was removed, the building on the Delta Flyer side (in Orleans Place) was removed, and the Yukon Yahoo (Bayern-Kurve ride, located in Yukon Territory) was moved into that location. The Yukon theming was removed (the barn like structure you would go through at the top of the ride), and the name was changed to Delta Flyer. It remained in this location thru the 1990 season. In 1991, the Bayern-Kurve was removed, and Condor was added in its place.

Saskatchewan Scrambler was also located in Yukon Territory, and it was moved to a new location in the park. It is now the Hometown Fun Machine in Hometown Square. On the Ride Certification badges, it was listed as HTFM.
You're absolutely right, and I realized my error too late! I just wanted to challenge myself into typing the word "Saskatchewan"... :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

redfishpaw wrote:
RLAiello wrote:
redfishpaw wrote:
p.s. Rick, did you know that you joined this forum twice, member 14 & 64.
I know, but I tried to log back in and it wouldn't let me. If you (or whoever) could just delete my old profile, that would be fine.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

RLAiello wrote:
redfishpaw wrote:
RLAiello wrote: I know, but I tried to log back in and it wouldn't let me. If you (or whoever) could just delete my old profile, that would be fine.
Steven should be able to take care of that.
coasterboy
Gulf Coaster

Sky Rides

Post by coasterboy »

I was told that the skyrides were finally retired from Gurnee because it became too much of a hassle to evacuate passengers when there was a mechanical problem.

They had to bring in a long reach fire rescue vehicle that was stationed an hour away, and the Village of Gurnee started to complain about the park response time.

Magic Mountain had a car drop on it's system in the late 70's. It killed one of a honeymooning couple who had been drinking. The groom thought it would be fun to swing the cabin side to side. Persistant high winds finally caused it's demise, as it was closed almost every afternoon and evening. It was really high though, and a fantastic view.

Six Flags over Georgia still has it's skyway. There is also one at Georgia's Stone Mountain.

Let's not forget the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway!

Disneyland lost it's skyway due to the expiration of its grandfather clause that would have required it's replacement due to earthquake codes. It was literally closed one night and all the towers were removed within 48 hours.
Mark
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

There is a skyride at Wisconsin State fair....although it closed for a brief period last year, I think for mostt of the fair because someone had a seizure on it and died when he fell. I believe it reopened as soon as the investigation of how he fell was over.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

The Wisconsin State Fair sky ride was open this year. The thing that I found interesting at the time is that the rides path is not the way I remember it. I believe the southern station was recently relocated, which would mean most of the towers would have been relocated as well.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Here are some more PGA skyride photos
which I was looking earlier at on one of Steven's
other web pages.
Some of you may not have seen these.
http://members.aol.com/interama/skyride2.htm