If I were Cedarfair...

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Miri
Gulf Coaster

If I were Cedarfair...

Post by Miri »

I would first, get rid of invertigo, the most useless rollercoaster ever. I am so done with the silly boomerang style coasters. I would put a sky wheel type ride in its place, retro styled. I would put all the theming back into the demon, blood waterfalls, rocks, music, lights etc. I would emphasise all the theming for the different areas of the park so that the name of the park"great america" made more sense. Included in the new theming, I would have all the areas have themed uniforms or "costumes" and souvineers unique to each area.

What would you do to the park if you were cedarfair?
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

If I were Cedar Fair, I would NOT get rid of Invertigo. If tt were a regular style boomerang I would understand, but there are just a few inverted boomerangs in the nation. Do a total overhaul of Logger's Run because it breaks down WAY too much.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Ok, Just had to post on this one!

If I were Cedar Fair, I would

1. Demolish the Action FX Theater and Renovate the Pictorium
2. Fix up the Carousel
3. Repaint some buildings
4. Add Lighting to rides and open the park later
5. Set up Triple Play
6. Reopen the Orbit
7. Add some good american theming
8. Add a Double or Triple Ferris Wheel and a train
9. Add a good new coaster sometime soon (Without taking another ride out, with the exception of Xtreme skyflier)

Presumably impossible, but good improvements if you ask me...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

I agree with everything except for the part of taking out Xtreme Skyflyer. It's an awesome ride even if you have to pay for it. Although I would like to see Triple Play and the train return, it's not going to happen. And the triple wheel idea is just bot valid. The park takes rides out for reason, not just to take them out and put them back in later.

And the big one: Do something about Grizzly!! Honestly, the ride itself look pleasing to the eyes with all the trees, and landscaping around it. But once you ride it, you'll never live it down. Either tear it down and build a new wooden coaster, or totally re-track it.
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

My gosh, with all the problems and suggestions you guys have about Santa Clara, I am very happy Gurnee isn't quite as bad!

I think that if I ever went to Santa Clara, I would probably be in shock believing that that was the same Great America that was identical to Gurnee 30 years ago.
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

If I were Cedar Fair I would:
    • Bring back the train
      Bring back triple play
      Make the park look clean and get rid of all of the Paramount Blue
      Bring back the theming with costumes
      Make food afordable and worth buying
      Put in a sitdown restraunt
      Allow the park to stay open past 9pm....have the park open until midnight again!!
      Have fireworks on the fourth of July not the third
      Sell balloons again
      Have decent parades
      Bring back decent shows
      Redo Boomarang Bay with an American theme
      Bring back the orbit
      Improve the kids area
      Plant more trees and get rid of so much cement
      Take out the fountains in front of the carousel
      Take out rides you have to pay to ride. Your already paying a lot of money to get into the park!
      Put in a ferris wheel
      Get rid of the silly Dora ride
      Have characters walking around the park again
      Bring back Bugs Bunny :P (I know I know he's never coming back!)
      Clean the park!!!!!!!!!!!
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

LS202 wrote:If I were Cedar Fair I would:
    • Bring back the train
      Bring back triple play
      Make the park look clean and get rid of all of the Paramount Blue
      Bring back the theming with costumes
      Make food afordable and worth buying
      Put in a sitdown restraunt
      Allow the park to stay open past 9pm....have the park open until midnight again!!
      Have fireworks on the fourth of July not the third
      Sell balloons again
      Have decent parades
      Bring back decent shows
      Redo Boomarang Bay with an American theme
      Bring back the orbit
      Improve the kids area
      Plant more trees and get rid of so much cement
      Take out the fountains in front of the carousel
      Take out rides you have to pay to ride. Your already paying a lot of money to get into the park!
      Put in a ferris wheel
      Get rid of the silly Dora ride
      Have characters walking around the park again
      Bring back Bugs Bunny :P (I know I know he's never coming back!)

Bring back the train - never going to happen.
Bring back triple play - never going to happen
Make the park look clean and get rid of all of the Paramount Blue - the park overall is clean, and there is not much blue.
Bring back the theming with costumes - i agree
Make food afordable and worth buying - not going to happen because we live in 2006.
Put in a sitdown restraunt - no comment
Allow the park to stay open past 9pm....have the park open until midnight again!! - definately agree
Have fireworks on the fourth of July not the third - they can have it on the 4th depending if the day after the fourth is a work day or not.
Sell balloons again - um, i personally wouldn't care on this.
Have decent parades - the nick parade is actually a very good parade.
Bring back decent shows - i don't go to amusement parks to watch shows, so i don't care on this.
Redo Boomarang Bay with an American theme - no! the autralian theme is good.
Bring back the orbit - strong chance of re-opening.
Improve the kids area - kidzville needs a rehab, but nick central is just fine.
Plant more trees and get rid of so much cement - there are PLENTY of trees,
Take out the fountains in front of the carousel - it looks good with the fountains.
Take out rides you have to pay to ride. Your already paying a lot of money to get into the park! - xtreme skyflyer is awesome!
Put in a ferris wheel - NO! i hate ferris wheels.
Get rid of the silly Dora ride - i work that ride, and out of all the nick central rides, its the most popular. on a saturday, the line can be 1 hour long.
Have characters walking around the park again - no comment
Bring back Bugs Bunny (I know I know he's never coming back!)
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

I posted my list from being a fan of the park when it opened in 1976 as a child, working there as a teenager, going on the thrill rides as a young adult and now as a mother of three kids.

What I miss most about the park is the family friendly rides that are mixed in with the thrill rides. The Dora ride is the the worst ride in the park as far as family friendly. It is situated in a area that has nothing but cement and young trees and is very HOT in July. You stand in line for up to 45 minutes yet the line is so short you only think it will be for a few minutes. You get on the ride and it last a few minutes and all you are doing is pumping to go up and down hearing swiper no swiping over and over. My daughters love the ride, but I can't stand waiting in the hot sun for that ride. Triple Play was my favorite ride of all time and the space it was in is still empty so why can't it go back and why can't a train be placed in the park again.

When I was a young girl we saw the shows there a lot. As a teenager I of course skipped them to ride the good rides now as a mother I would like to take my kids to see the quality show. The nick parade is awful!!!! It is nothing about LOUD music (I'm not that old btw) being played over and over again and the characters in dirty costumes dancing around. My daughter enjoyed it but I'm sorry its not at the same calibar that Marriotts and even King's did years ago. Perhaps I'm jaded by Disneyland but if anything, clean the costumes.

The Paramount blue is everywhere. The Sky tower is Blue, the benches are blue, the posts are blue. Paramount blue is not a pretty shade of blue in my opinion. The benches use to be white if my memory serves me correct.

The last time I was there with my daughter trying to find a bite to eat was a nightmare. Other then ice cream cones everything else was overpriced and not appealing to me. I ended up taking her to McDonalds down the street and going home. I would rather have bought lunch in the park and stayed in the park a little longer but why bother when a cheeseburger costs $7 and it looks awful. Would you spend that much on a four year old?

The park is dirty! No there is no trash around but the buildings inside and out look so neglected. The kids area is in need of an overhaul and I guess my opinion is you can see the neglect from over the years. Heck the movie posters don't seem to change and are faded from the sun.

Oh one last thing, the fountains look awful. Go on star tower or the top of the carousel you can see the wires. It takes away from the beauty of the carousel which is the focal point of the park. This is after all my opinion of an old timer of this beautiful park.
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86
DjRobbioRobbio
Buzzy Bee

Post by DjRobbioRobbio »

I was just going to say get rid of anything Vekoma...but it looks like somebody already beat me to the punch
"What goes up must come down, for everything else, there's Intamin"
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Ok I noticed they did clean Invertigos line a little during the 06 season but it still needs work! If I were Cedar Fair I'd clean up Vortex and Invertigo:

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 013dr2.jpg

(Sorry wouldn't let me save a rotation, but you get my drift)
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!