beautiful Columbia

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
steven
Site Admin

beautiful Columbia

Post by steven »

Here's how she looked this afternoon:

More of this afternoon's photos are here.

Steven
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Awesome photos.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Did you catch the parade Steven?
I'm making a special appearance in this years parade, yes... They got me to do it.
Check out the pie cart at the end the next two weekends.
-RD
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I did see the parade, but didn't post any photos. I'll look for you next time!

Steven
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I saw you in the parade today and got some photos. Will post one or two later. It was tough getting good shots of you doing parade duty. I got tied up, though, and did not get a viewing spot before it started. The whole parade route was mobbed. A couple of weeks ago, attendance was pretty light and finding spots along the parade route was not a problem. Not so today!

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I was wondering...
You see in a souvineer book I have they say:

"The carousel's pinnacle was once an ornate potbellied stove in the movie 'Marie Antoinette' while caps to the columns on the carousel came from an MGM film starring Grace Kelly, titled 'The Swan'."

Is this true? Or are they just replicas or something? How does this coordinate with both carousels?

By the way, nice closeup Steven.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Oh awesome!
Good stuff Steven.
Can't wait to see the photos.

-RD
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Here is one:

The photo above and one more are here with captions. I'm posting more recent Santa Clara photos here.

Steven
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Oops. I missed your questions.
that_guy wrote:"The carousel's pinnacle was once an ornate potbellied stove in the movie 'Marie Antoinette' while caps to the columns on the carousel came from an MGM film starring Grace Kelly, titled 'The Swan'."

Is this true? Or are they just replicas or something? How does this coordinate with both carousels?
I'd have to ask John Poimiroo. He wrote that here.

Thanks for the compliments on the Columbia photo. Of all the Columbia photos that I've taken, I consider this one to be one of my favorites. I took it while waiting in line for the Star Tower (previously Sky Tower). I just happend to look over towards Columbia from there and decided to take the shot from that spot.

Steven
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Thanks for the photos Steven.

-RD
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

I just thought of something quite funny after looking at the pics.

It is really strange to see the palm trees in Santa Clara's park since we don't have that in Gurnee. I guess us Midwesterners aren't used to that, but it is probably very normal to you Californians.

Did Santa Clara always have palm trees in the themed areas? Is it just in a certain part of the park?

PLease advise. Thanks!
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

GreatAmerica4ever wrote:I just thought of something quite funny after looking at the pics.

It is really strange to see the palm trees in Santa Clara's park since we don't have that in Gurnee. I guess us Midwesterners aren't used to that, but it is probably very normal to you Californians.

Did Santa Clara always have palm trees in the themed areas? Is it just in a certain part of the park?

PLease advise. Thanks!
Actually the palm trees were added in 2004 when they redid the front entrance to have a "Hollywood" theme, a la the Hollywood sign sitting atop next to Vortex and the palm trees scattered around the carousel.