The Edge

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

The Edge

Post by dth1971 »

Do you remember the freefall ride The Edge at the Gurnee, Illinois Marriott's Great America from 1983-1984? It was shut down for good in 1984 when a rider broke his neck or something like that while riding. The Edge spot at the Gurnee Great America is nowadays taken over by a ride called The Power Dive.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I remember the Edge. I only rode is once before it left the park though.

By the way, Power Dive is no longer at the park either. It was SBNO during the 2002 season I believe, and was removed in 2003. In 2004, that area of the park was transformed into a Mardi Gras section, and the park added a Huss Top Spin called King Chaos in its place.

I have a newspaper article at home that talks about the Edge, and a bit about what happened on that day of the incident. When I get home work, I'll see about getting the info posted.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

The Edge

Post by dth1971 »

What does SBNO stand for?
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

SBNO = Standing But Not Operating

Last time I looked, the Power Dive gondola was in the boneyard (aka employee parking lot). You can usually see it along with the Sky Whirl cages between the cracks of the fence while on the Scenic Railway.
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I am not sure if Power Dive is still in the boneyard anymore. But, I do have sad news to report. Over the winter, all but 4 Sky Whirl cages were removed from the park. :cry: My fear is that they took the same fate as the ones in the CA park. The only reason they kept 4 of them (and they are red), is that during Fright Fest, they are used as props.
Mr. Brian Plencner
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Brian, for the news about the Sky Whirl cabins. I wonder if any of them were saved besides the four that remain at the park.

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

BrianPlencner wrote: But, I do have sad news to report. Over the winter, all but 4 Sky Whirl cages were removed from the park. :cry: My fear is that they took the same fate as the ones in the CA park. .
I found this add for a used Sky Whirl for sale a short while back. $525,000
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=231
At the time I thought this might be the ride from SC ???
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

The Edge was still standing in 1985. I know this because this was the year I worked on the Clipper and I remember seeing the Edge every day. There was talking of it operating again, but that never came to be. When it was taken down I remember seeing all of the debris on the ground. I picked up a large bolt (which had orange paint) and kept it as a souveneir.
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

I've always wanted to have a small souvenir of sorts from an old ride. I'm not asking for much... just a couple of cars from a coaster train. :D Seriously, though, a bolt, a wheel -- even a paint chip!

On the other hand... if we can raise a little over half a million dollars... Sky Whirl is ours!! :lol:
Last edited by SFGAmLover on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

:lol: There's a plan! I love it!

It seems we all have at least some knowledge and a lot of opinions. Have you ever thought about running a park (big, small, tiny, doesn't matter). I always thought it would be neat to start a mystery shopper type business for amusement parks. I suppose you could just do it on your own like a restaurant reviewer. Sometimes I think too much....
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Well, I figured since we were all taking about items from rides and stuff, I would show you all some of the things in my collection.

First, I have a frisbee. I beleive these came in two colors, Red and Blue. My brother kept the blue one, and I kept the red one.

This next shot shows some of the other things I have. Most of the items in this picture are easy to figure out. The bolt that is standing up on end in front of the Eagle beer glass is from Sky Whirl. The other bolt with the blue paint is from Shockwave.
Last edited by BrianPlencner on Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Brian Plencner
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

Cool stuff Brian! I love the wine glasses, I take it they must be from a party.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I'm not quite sure where the Wine Glasses actually came from in the park. I won them at an Auction during ACE's Annual Convention this past June. The seller told me they were from the Gurnee Park, but did not say if they had been purchased in the park, or were given out during a special event.
Mr. Brian Plencner
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

redfishpaw wrote:I found this add for a used Sky Whirl for sale a short while back. $525,000
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=231
At the time I thought this might be the ride from SC ???
You can save your $525,000.00. Unfortunately, that ad is out-of-date. It is for the Santa Clara ride, but that ride has most definitely been scrapped and is no longer available for sale. On the last day, you might have gotten it even for free, if you had been able to haul it all away. Fortunately, I was able to rescue three of the cabins. The rest of the ride was scrapped.

Steven
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Brian,

Do you know where on Sky Whirl that bolt was used?

Steven