BUGS BUNNY MONEY

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

BUGS BUNNY MONEY

Post by redfishpaw »

Anybody remember Bugs Bunny money, or Great America Dollars. SFGA's very own printed currency as shown in photos below. These are still uncut, the money was cut in house before being sold. This was suppose to make people spend more. Once people purchased these, they would obviously want to use them, as they are worthless everywhere else.
Last edited by redfishpaw on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Re: BUGS BUNNY MONEY

Post by RLAiello »

Oh my LORD do I remember these... and how. I worked in Cash Control for six years! :) I counted a LOT of Bugs Bunny Money in my time.

I remember the first year they were even more generic... I'll have to look through my Great America Box and see if I have any samples of that design in there. This design was used up until I left the park in '99. I have no idea if they use it anymore.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

redfishpaw wrote:This was suppose to make people spend more.
Actually, the intent of this type of money is to spend more money on something that was worthless. They cost the park a ~penny and if they sell them for $1.00 each, the park makes 99 cents for each one not used. That sure is a nice mark up.

Why would they not be used?

1) Buy them and then forget to spend all of them.
2) Buy a bunch of them for multiple trips to the park and either don't go as many times as planed or forget them when you do.
3) Buy them as a gift for someone who doesn't end up using them.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

segerken wrote:
redfishpaw wrote:This was suppose to make people spend more.
Actually, the intent of this type of money is to spend more money on something that was worthless. They cost the park a ~penny and if they sell them for $1.00 each, the park makes 99 cents for each one not used. That sure is a nice mark up.

Why would they not be used?

1) Buy them and then forget to spend all of them.
2) Buy a bunch of them for multiple trips to the park and either don't go as many times as planed or forget them when you do.
3) Buy them as a gift for someone who doesn't end up using them.
All excellent points, I agree with you.
mulletman13
Buzzy Bee

Post by mulletman13 »

I used to work in the park in 2001 as a Games Attendent. These were only used in park buyouts, the people would present them to us and they were essentially as good as money. Outside of buyouts however I never recieved any of these.

I looove the old "SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA" logo in block letters... mmm such a nice design :)
CRK
Buzzy Bee

Post by CRK »

They must have scaled back the use of the BB Money then. It was used during any and all operating days in the '90s. In recent years, I haven't heard about it at all, though...
I used to work in the park in 2001 as a Games Attendent. These were only used in park buyouts, the people would present them to us and they were essentially as good as money. Outside of buyouts however I never recieved any of these.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

It's been a while, but I found the Great America Dollars' original design. I KNEW I still had these somewhere. :)

Rick

Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I remember these earlier bills, but I dont have any. Thanks for posting them.
kiwigoodkid
Buzzy Bee

Post by kiwigoodkid »

I got some back in 2004 for the advocate health care buy out day. They gave us 10 of them.
A new, bigger and better Nation!
www.thrillnationusa.com
moelladeville
Buzzy Bee

Fun Bucks

Post by moelladeville »

Before Bugs Bunny Money, there were Fun Bucks. I worked in Cash Control for four years from 79 until 83, and these things were a PAIN for me -- literally. I sprained my ankle tripping over one of the many bags of those things in Cash Control.

But Fun Bucks weren't the worst. We all dreaded the pop can audits, where we would have to go to the front gate and count the pop cans (covered in sticky pop, swarming with bees and other vermin) to make sure that the front gate was counting them right! Gross and disgusting.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Re: Fun Bucks

Post by redfishpaw »

moelladeville wrote:Before Bugs Bunny Money, there were Fun Bucks. I worked in Cash Control for four years from 79 until 83, and these things were a PAIN for me -- literally. I sprained my ankle tripping over one of the many bags of those things in Cash Control.

Did you work in CC at the Gurnee park? Day or evening shift?
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

I worked in Cash Control from 1990 until 1996. I remember talk of "Fun Bucks" being a loathsome and hated thing by a few of the people who had been there for a long time (Cash Control seemed to employ people for many, many years, although they no longer work there now.) Thankfully we never had to count pop cans though... that was done at the front gate (I did have to do it when I worked there from 1988-1989, though!)

The thing we hated most of all was line game pickups. They had these bill stackers that were awful machines and stacked the bill in such a mishmash way that the money came back folded, scrunched, wet, ripped, and otherwise destroyed. And we had to sit and make it all pretty so it could run through the bill counting machine (called "Shiba" because it was manufactured by Toshiba).

Ahhh memories.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

lol, Great post