2006 Opening Day Pictures

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

2006 Opening Day Pictures

Post by BrianPlencner »

Everyone,

Here are a few pictures from Opening Day yesterday at Great America in Gurnee, IL.

At the front of the park at 9:45 AM, they did a balloon release. Notice the 45 balloon thing in the middle of the reflection pond.

These are all over the park. They (SF) are really pushing the 45th Anniversary, and it appears there is no focus on Great America's 30th. All the merchandise (hats, shirts, mugs, keychains,etc) are all like this. I could not find anything for sale that said 30th Anniversary Great America on it. I did see a few things that had the 45th anniversary logo, and it said "Great America" under it, giving the impression that Great America was also turning 45. I did not say anything to the park, but I feel I will on my next visit.

At noon, they did a show on the steps of the Hometown Square Railroad Station.

After the show, the new park GM gave a speech, with the members of the Justice Leage

These signs are new, and are in a few places around the park. I think they are a good idea, as it helps guests find things in the park.

Finally, here is how the new waterslide is turning out. The park did say that it should be ready when the waterpark opens on Memorial Day weekend.

I do want to also report that Triple Play does appear on the park maps and other information. I did not get a picture of the ride area, but the sign at the ride's enterance is missing. The arms of the ride were on site, but the tubs you sit in, and the base are missing. Knowing that it is actually on the map may give hope that it will open this season.

Wanted to add one more thing. Some of you saw the pictures that were posted of the Employee Rehire party, and all of the cool stuff that SFGAm pulled out? Well, rumor was that was all suppose to be on display in the park during the season. Sadly, I looked all over the park, and did not find any of it. Hopefully, they will still do it, but as of yesterday, none of it was to be found. :cry: Was really looking forward to seeing all that again, including the model of the American Eagle.

--Brian
Last edited by BrianPlencner on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
Frank D
Buzzy Bee

Post by Frank D »

Hey nice pics man. Tornado is coming along good.

Unfortunatly I couldnt make it yesterday. Ill be going next week hopefully though.
Frank
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Here is a (bad) photo of the Triple Play area:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6475/im0000657el.jpg
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Opening day was great besides the weather. I thought the Justice League thing and the show was cool. I was looking for any references to the parks 30th anniversary but couldnt find any. The only thing that came close was the train operating mentioning it was the parks 30th. Im also disappointed that the stuff wasnt on display. Its funny that even though Triple Play is on the map that most of it is covered by Pepe. I think its covered because it isnt open and it might later in the year. Brian I saw you during the Justice League thing and show. I was with my friend who wore all black and has a black cane. I was wearing a black hoody and blue jeans. I would have said hi but wasnt sure if I should.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I'm surprised the Tornado isn't done already. I guess it doesn't matter with the weather still being so cold.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Tornado isnt done because Hurricane Harbor doesnt open until Memorial Day.
customfabricators
Gulf Coaster

Post by customfabricators »

With the focus on the 45th Anniversay of the company, the 30th Anniversary of the park will drop to the sideline. There will be no merchandise, no banners, nothing.

Thats corporate for ya!
Frank D
Buzzy Bee

Post by Frank D »

^I was hoping to see something like that, but I guess not. :(
Frank
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I look at it this way. If Six Flag is 45 then Great America is still ONLY a kid. Which might actually be a good thing

Here's hoping that the parks bring back some of the theming elements in the next couple of years. That is what I remember and love most about Great America.... (Based on the Yankee Clipper Sign, the new Mardi Gras and Southwest Territories, it looks like that might be the way they are heading.)
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Here is are some pics of the Tornado in may

:arrow: http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/sixflag ... ca/tornado

I like the third one