Trip Report 8/10/06

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
da1gloc
Gulf Coaster

Trip Report 8/10/06

Post by da1gloc »

Well, ive been going to this park since it opening day. And on this day I couldnt wait to get there. We got there at about 11. I made the mistake of having a lit cigarette when I went through the gate and was promptly told (much to my dismay) that Six Flags was now smoke free.

We then walked straight to V2. I love this ride. And the launch is awesome. Especially the "scream" the ride makes on takeoff. So we rode it 3 times cause there was no line.

It was a slow day at the park so we were in no hurry to get on all the coasters right away. We wanted to make a day of it so we took our time.

Next, we headed over to Iron Wolf. I dont remember this ride being a headbanger but let me tell you, that was my last ride. The new shoulder restraints leave more headroom and thats not a good thing. After about 5 min. my headache went away and we moved over to the Eagle.

So we get in line and were trying to decide if we wanted to ride it backwards or forwards-----for no reason because they both go forwards now. :(
Front row on the red train always does the trick for me. Good times.

Lunch time. Stopped right outside the Eagle enterance at Wascals for a bite. Their burgers still rock.

Next we hit the Demon. I was VERY surprised to hear the original Demon song playing in the que. Awesome. Got the black train and away we went. Still a fun ride.

Then it was time for DejaVu. I really hate wasting the day away in lines but this ride is an exception. For me, I love the rear of the train the best. And today I thought Id film it. If you wanna see the vid. Check out my myspace profile. myspace.com/da1gloc. Awesome friggin ride.

Now for old times sake we had to ride the Whizzer. The lift brings back sooo many old memories for me so it was great.

Giant Drop was next and I dont know about anybody else, but the lift up is the best part of the ride for me. Still.....good times.

Well, at this time were thinking of checking out a show cause were getting tired. So we went to see Tribute to The Stars. I didnt expect this show to be good but I was pleasntly surprided. Not bad. "Prince", I thought was the best.

Now we head to Raging Bull. After about a 10 min wait, We get a seat right in the middle. I absolutely LOVE this ride. By far one of my all-time favorites.

Now we go right next door and jump in the Viper line. 10 min. wait here as well. Got the front row. Fun.

The only flat I wanted to ride was the Triple Play and as you already may know, its sitting in pieces. But I learned it should be back for 07. And how nice of them to put a designated smoking spot right in front of the ride. Thanks!!

Batman was next. Sitll an awesome ride. Just going through the que builds the anticipation for this one after all these years. From the themeing, to the music from the movie, and the dark stairs that lead up to the station. Not realizing how fast the line moved, I had to down my dippin' dots real quick (not recommended!!)

Before we dicided to leave the park, we thought we would hit some coasters again. V2 we rode twice more. The Eagle once more, Raging Bull and Viper twice, And Superman just once. For me, the wait for Superman just isnt worth it. The rides just not that impressive.

Hungry again, we stopped at Aunt Marthas Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Little did i know that they close at 8 and we walked in at 7:45. Now most people would think the food would be crappy. Let me just say, it was great!! The woman dishing the grub hooked us up with all fresh food. I dont remember her name, but I wish I did. Cause she made our night.

After dinner we walked out and saw that the parade was about to begin. Not wanting to get caught in the mass exodus after the parade, that was our que to leave.

Overall. We had an awesome day at the park. Great experience. And I cant wait to go back for Fright Fest. 9 out of 10.
G. Nagle

SFGA games employee from 88 thru 91