Possible Removals

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Possible Removals

Post by dpxtreme »

On screamscape.com today, it talks about the possible changes at Six Flags Great America. It mentions the possible rumors of removal of a lot of rides including: Deja Vu, Whizzer, Yankee Clipper, Loggers Run, Iron Wolf (maybe), go karts, and Spaceship America.

And if this is true about Yankee Clipper, Loggers Run, and Whizzer, anyone that said that Paramount Parks ruined GA in Santa Clara by removing it's original rides, they can eat their words.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

First of all screamscape is never entirely believable

In second place, No way are they going to remove the Whizzer or the Loggers Run/Yankee Clipper (at least based on past attempts to remove it anyway) Go Karts and Spaceship America can go as far as I'm concerned. Iron Wolf was just upgraded so I cannot see why they would want to remove it after spending dough on it.
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

There is good possibility of removing Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper. The land that those rides occupy is huge. And YC doesn't seem to have the popularity that LR has. They are really old rides that are hard to find parts for and always has problems with it. And if Cedar Fair took away their flume ride at Cedar Point, then LR and YC could be in trouble.

And Whizzer could very well go. It was almost going to be removed a few years ago. And it's not a thrilling ride anymore. I understand people wanting parks to keep their original rides, but you have to look at it from Six Flags POV.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Splashwater Falls has been closed for about a month now and it has been said by the park that it won't be operating anymore this year. If anything were to be removed, that would probably be the one to get the axe...
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

eh... thats not good. But they couldn't take out 3 water rides this year, its too impractical- not everyone wants to go to the waterpark when they get hot, and a sing rapids ride can't cut it... Well thats my opinion, and Six Flags ceases to amase practically everyone with its decisions.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

I've been hearing Splashwater Falls and Raceway will BOTH be removed.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

Splashwater Falls is always closed at this time of year. There's never much of a demand to get soaked when the temperature is only in the 50s or 60s. Splash has a relatively small footprint, and Raceway always seems to have a line, so I can't see them getting rid of it unless there have been maintenance problems.

They need to just take down the Whizzer with no formal announcement so there's no time for an outcry. Not sure what they'd put there there. I don't recall there being all that much space over the swamp, especially now with Viper on the other side of the tracks.
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Whizzer's time is up. It really needs to go. They're is just nothing thrilling about those style coasters anymore.
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

WRONG WRONG AND WRONG! Whizzer must stay! It's the only ride of it's kind left, and one of the best family coasters around (even my 3 year old little girl love's it), and it is still thrilling, especially the banked turn near the ground. Try riding it in the dark at night sometime! Plus- it's a great coaster on dates! :oops: Same goes for Yankee and Loggers! I find it amazing that people posting on a web site dedicated to MARRIOTT'S Great America would be so willing to axe 3 classic original Marriott rides! Why don't you go back to SFGAMworld.com and talk about how "great" King Chaos is, and leave us alone to talk Tidal Wave and Edge stuff! :wink:
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

^ I don't think we should get too heated about this

But... I agree, Roller Coasters are not all about thrills, height, and speed. SFGAm should be proud it has such a good family coaster that still delivers fun and excitement compared to any kiddie coaster. SFGAm doesn't need to get rid of any of its old rides, especially the Whizzer! Plus there's no good reason to take it out- SFGAm doesn't need another thrill coaster.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

^Well said. Roller coasters don't always have to go super fast and have a million loops. You can still have a great ride without making it gut wrenching scary.
I miss Tidal Wave
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

It'd be nice if they'd at least fix the lights on the Whizzer cars. I rode it at night recently and noticed the lights weren't on. I sat in a spot where I could hit the button to turn them on, but nothing happened.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

The lights and grills have been gone from Whizzer for at least 10 years.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

tillenterprises wrote:WRONG WRONG AND WRONG! Whizzer must stay! It's the only ride of it's kind left, and one of the best family coasters around (even my 3 year old little girl love's it), and it is still thrilling, especially the banked turn near the ground. Try riding it in the dark at night sometime! Plus- it's a great coaster on dates! :oops: Same goes for Yankee and Loggers! I find it amazing that people posting on a web site dedicated to MARRIOTT'S Great America would be so willing to axe 3 classic original Marriott rides! Why don't you go back to SFGAMworld.com and talk about how "great" King Chaos is, and leave us alone to talk Tidal Wave and Edge stuff! :wink:
How about you let me be entitled to my opinion and let me say what I think. I don't want this to escalade, but I HATE it when people get so - off over one person's opinion. I wasn't hating on anyone, I was just saying I think Whizzer whould be removed. If you don't like what I say, don't respond to it and make it seem like I'm the bad guy. :D
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

If they should take anything out, it should be camp cartoon network and/or Iron Wolf if they want to do something really big. If they want to keep the wolf, 1. Get new restraints that are more comfortable, 2. change the colors of the track and trains, and 3. Give it some cool theming or a new logo, It'd make it a much more popular ride. As for camp cartoon network, with the addition of wiggles world, the smaller crowd just isn't gonna go there as much anymore, plus it's kind of outdated. I wouldn't lose any sleep if they removed splashwater falls or a water ride. I find them boring. (Except for roaring rapids, that still rox)
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!