security

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

security

Post by imdaman »

I'm interested in photos or memorabilia of security at the park, does anyone have a photo of yourself or a friend who was a security guard, or any memorabilia? Thanks!
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

I have some old pictures somewhere. If I can find them, I'll post a link here.

:D
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

imdaman, were you in Security? If so, what years?
calitg8r
Buzzy Bee

Security

Post by calitg8r »

Imdaman -- I was in Security from 80-83. Still remember wearing the ole "bobbie" hat on those hot summer days. I would be interested in seeing any pics you might find. [A friend from Showops recently showed me a newspaper clipping of Bill Butler's accident...Sad..we all still miss him as a good friend.)

When did you work there?
Security (80-83)
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Bill Butler?
calitg8r
Buzzy Bee

Bill Butler

Post by calitg8r »

Bill was in Security with me and died in an auto accident while returning to San Jose from Tahoe. :(

Good guy!
Security (80-83)
calitg8r
Buzzy Bee

Security

Post by calitg8r »

In the early 80's, the Security department was divided into three main groups (not including dispatch): Blue, Red and Mobile. The "Blue" team was comprised of the main force and usually wore the "English Bobbie" uniform. Blue team members would usually be assigned to a particular area of the park and a "Roamer" would have access to the entire park. The Blue team also was usually assigned to work the concerts. The "Red" team was designated as the anti-theft/shoplifting unit and usually wore a red coat and tie. The "Mobile" team would usually man the rear entry post and roam the parking lots in their patrol cars.

When I was working at MGA, George Buck (an ex-Sheriff) was the head supervisor/manager.
Security (80-83)
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

George Buck remained as the Security Dept. Manager (Santa Clara) through at least 1993.

I'm not sure when he left, but not long after that, the department was "Shuffled". Buck left, and one of the supervisors, Pat Huckaby, moved to park services. He, Pat Huckaby, later returned to security as the Dept. Manager. I think he's still there today.

Pat may have moved to park services while George was still there. And then when George left, Pat may have returned to Security.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
calitg8r
Buzzy Bee

Post by calitg8r »

I remember Pat...we started in security at about the same time. I didn't realize that he had stayed on with GA...what a small world.
Security (80-83)
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Pat is still around today.

-RD
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

When I left in 1995 if I am not mistaken, Pat Helbling (formerly Park Ops Mngr) was Loss Prevention Manager and George Buck was still Manager of Security, I believe Pat Huckaby had just went over to Park Services as a manager (I believe) and the supes were Terri McFarlane, Dave Fox and I forget who the 3rd supe was. I remember Kelly was there when I left and Doty had retired earlier in 1995 or 1994.
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

I have a pic or 2 that I can post from when I worked Security in 1999. I just need to find them first.

As far as I know, Pat Huckaby is still the Security Director (Chief) and Aaron Ippolito is no longer in Security. He is now the Park Ops Manager.
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

PGAsecurity99 wrote:As far as I know, Pat Huckaby is still the Security Director (Chief) and Aaron Ippolito is no longer in Security. He is now the Park Ops Manager.
Aaron Ippolito is Park Ops Manager? Man, when I worked in Security in 1987 he was just a twerpy little Security Officer that annoyed everyone. We called him Elroy because he reminded us of the kid on the Jetsons. He was trying to get one of the female security officers to go out with him once. She turned him down and he was so mad he went out to the employee parking lot and started spinning donuts in his car.
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

We use to call Aaron a leprechaun, and buy him a box of Lucky Charms for his birthday. He was a Captain when I was their. At one point Aaron, Pat and the other high brass were armed. Might still be. :?
Gameboy
Buzzy Bee

Post by Gameboy »

Do the security guys still run around with walkie talkies in paper bags trying to look incognito? I always thought one day some little old lady would call park security because she saw some crazy guy talking into a paper bag.