Parking lot speed

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Parking lot speed

Post by ewilson »

Does anybody know why they opted for the 14 mph instead of the normal 15 mph? Was this just a joke by the guy who made the sign? I took this picture quite a few years ago.

segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

They probably did it to make it stand out. People tend to notice things that aren't normal. For example, how many times after driving around a curve do you remember what speed the sign say that you should take the curve. If it was a "normal" sign (i.e. 10, 15, 20, or 25 MPH) you probably wouldn't remember. In fact you probably didn't really "read" the sign when you looked at it because it was a speed that you would expect to see. If it was not a normal sign (i.e. 9, 14, 19, or 35 MPH), your subconscious would take notice because it was not normal. So theoratically you would be more likely slow down when you take the curve.

Cities and counties use these signs where people tend to go to fast around a curve. In Santa Clara where Patrick Henry Drive makes a sharp curve there is one of those non normal signs. Quito Road, which is on the Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno boarder also has a few of these non normal signs.
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

Disneyland has done the same for as long as I can remember, and they even tell you to yeild to park vehicles and employees whether in the car or on foot.
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

yeah, that sighn is actually down now. They took it down a few weeks ago, then i found it in the sign shop with "smoke weed 420" all over it. so they are going to make a new one.