Security 1985-1988

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Security 1985-1988

Post by soupkid »

I worked in Security 1985 - 1988 as an in-park and mobile unit, dispatcher, and shift seargent. I got canned in 1988 because we got caught having too much fun during grave shift during the off season. We cruised around the park on one of the mechanic's little Honda motorcyles that they used to get to broken down rides quicker. One of the supervisors little brown-nosers (who got my job after I was fired) turned me in. Pretty weanie, since what we did was nothing compared to the stories I have heard that went on at the park during off season grave shift.

Working concerts, catching people trying to get in free hopping the fences behind the Grizzly, and going to Denny's after the park closed were some of the better memories I have. Oh, and the parties some of my co-workers threw were legendary!

The best part about my experience at Great America is that I met my wife there. She didn't work there, but she was a good friend of someone that did. We will celebrate our 18th anniversary this August with our 5 wonderful children.
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

Wow.

It sounds like I took over where you left off. Except we used to go to El Torito's on Sunday nights to end our long weekends.

I too met my wife at GA. She was in shows, while I was in security.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

Yeah, we alternated between Denny's and El Torito, but mostly Denny's as we knew the bartender ;) .

As July 4th is coming up, I am reminded of how much action we had on that day. Especially if you worked day shift, you always ended up working a double. One July 4, I worked a double shift on dispatch, with only a 1/2 break. I sat there from 8am until closing. I ached to be out in the park but dispatch was fun too.

I really enjoyed being a mobile (days off fill in for the regular guys on unit 617 or 618). It took me a while to get comfortable driving the black & white ex-SCPD cars. Those chosen to be mobile officers were usually ones that were planning on becoming real cops (and most are now). But, I had no interest in being a cop.

The supervisors then were Pat Huckaby, Dave Fox, and Terri McFarland. Wonder if they are still there. Aaron Ippolito was the guy that got me fired and as of a few years ago he was still there, and apparently is/was a supervisor.
tasod
Gulf Coaster

Post by tasod »

Howdy there soup. I was in Merch and training about the time you were there. I also remember "Al" who used to give out Keychains each season. I remember Terri was pretty kewl and came by the shops a lot when I worked in Magic.

Good memories with good 'ole Dennys :)

Take care.
1980 - 1989 Santa Clara - Retail Employee
(Started in Magic) Resale Training Supe.
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

tasod wrote:Howdy there soup. I was in Merch and training about the time you were there. I also remember "Al" who used to give out Keychains each season. I remember Terri was pretty kewl and came by the shops a lot when I worked in Magic.

Good memories with good 'ole Dennys :)

Take care.
I think you are referring to "Ed" who worked in Security and used to give out key chains each season. Ed worked mornings, and would get the crowd waiting at the front gate to sing the National Anthem. If someone could sing the SECOND verse of the song, he would give them a dollar! He was a GREAT guy.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
tasod
Gulf Coaster

Post by tasod »

You're right it was Ed. He even taught bought bowling at SJSU which I took one semester. I have some of the keychains somewhere...
1980 - 1989 Santa Clara - Retail Employee
(Started in Magic) Resale Training Supe.
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

Ed was cool. He was more of a diplomat than a security officer, but then he also could be really mean if he needed to be. I think he also played professional baseball, but I don't remember which team. He once showed us his trading card. I tried to look it up once but I could never remember how to spell his name. Sobsak? Sobscack?
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

I remember once when I was in rides working Rue Le Dodge, Ed responded to a line jumping call I made. He pulled the two brats out of line into an empty area of the queue where everyone in line could see, he made them both stand there with their arms stretched out for like a minute while he lectured them. That was in the late eighties, today I'm sure they would have their parent sue, but I bet they did not line jump the rest of the day!

I have a great picture of Ed walking through Hometown Square and also one of Doty (LP secretary) posing next to a Cheap Trick concert sign...I have several security pics from I believe 1990 both at the park and at ET's (pics taken by Janet).
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One