battling spam abuse of the forums

Your questions and suggestions related to the GREATAMERICAparks.com site are welcome here. Information about site updates or changes will also be posted here.
steven
Site Admin

battling spam abuse of the forums

Post by steven »

Hi,

You may be aware that spammers have put many web forums under constant assault daily, around the clock. Protective measures have been put into place here at the greatamericaparks.com forums. But recently, spammers have ratcheted up their efforts, and have gotten around the roadblocks more and more frequently. Unfortunately, they think nothing of posting links to wildly inappropriate material. As soon as I find this, I delete it. But I cannot always catch it soon enough.

As a result, I regret that I have no alternative but to restrict all new user registrations to be approved by the administrator. This is an inconvenient manual solution to keep this forum a safe and friendly environment. But for now, software safeguards are being defeated and this measure must be taken.

Steven
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Good idea. I've had to do the same thing at SFGAm Zone because someone who was banned acted immature and managed to get around all of my ban settings and make new scrennames to start flame wars.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

It's a good thing that Great America Parks doesn't have a huge spam problem. Space Station 77, one of my favorite forums to visit, recently fell victim to a GIGANTIC spam problem. Hackers constantly gave links to extremely inappropriate websites, which outraged all the members. Unfortunately, the problematic forum is now temporarily locked.

I'm glad this site has many good people and everyone can share their memories with no major problems. :D
I miss Tidal Wave