They still put 'great' in Great America!

Your questions and suggestions related to the GREATAMERICAparks.com site are welcome here. Information about site updates or changes will also be posted here.
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

They still put 'great' in Great America!

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

I had the opportunity to go to Fight Fest at SFGAm on Saturday, October 14th. This was my first time at the park in three years! I was certainly surprised that I had one of the best times I ever had at the park!

Even though the weather was a little cold, my sister-in-law and I had a good time. I was awestruck at how creative and numerous the Halloween decorations have florished in the park! I take my hats off to those in charge of the environment because I really felt like the park had been transformed.

"Fight Fest' always seemed like entertainment for adults than kids unlike the regular summer season. I was surprised just how many small children were in the park, even staying late until dark! Since a lot of the shows and decorations seem almost rated 'R', I really think kids should stay home.

I was a little disturbed that parking is $15.00! It is amazing that it cost more to park your car than buy an admission ticket to the park 20 years ago!

The crowd was not really big until noon. We were able to get on Batman, Vertical Velocity, and the Eagle immediately. We also were able to get on a few of the smaller rides.

After we had a chicken dinner at Aunt Martha's in Hometown Square at 12:30, the crowd suddenly hit. The food prices were so-so. I am still not thrilled about buying a Coke for $3.00, but for a chicken strip dinner for $8.50 -- it didn't seem too bad.

Since the lines started really forming on most of the rides, we were able to go see the 3-D cartoon 'Marvin the Martian' at the Pictorium and "Love at First Fright' at the Grand Music Hall.

The Demon certainly had a long line (one i hadn't seen since the 1980's!) But we were able to get on it before we boarded the railway for the "Hold Up Express".

The Necropolis-Hunted City of the Dead in the Picnic Grove was very scary! I definitely would not let children go through it, especially at dark time. The crew definitely did a wonderful job here!

By 5:30, we were looking to get someplace to eat indoors to warm up. The lines in most of the restaurants were almost as long as the rides! In fact, the Mooseburger Lodge in Yukon Territory closed their doors. I do not know the reason, perhaps they were out of food?!

My sister-in-law and I decided to leave to park to go eat at McDonald's on Grand Avenue, but made sure we were able to get back by 7pm to re-enter the park ontime. I never saw the parking lot so crowded -- even during a regular season summer day.

When we re-entered the park, we went on the Wizzer, (where I felt like a kid again) and saw the last show of the hypnotist, Susan Rosen, at the Theatre Royale.

We walked the entire park searching for the souvenirs we wanted to buy. It was very nice to walk around and see the decorations at night for one last time.

Finally, at 9:30, ten minutes of fireworks shot from the parking lot. While exiting the park, I realized that many people stayed for the parade at Hometown Square.

We were able to leave the parking lot pretty easily to get back to Milwaukee. We were definitely tired, and knew we would sleep peaceful after a great day.

The grounds are still in good shape and clean as ever. I noticed that some of the ride quene lines need a new coat of paint on their fences like the Eagle and Demon. Hopefully, this can be done for the next summer.

I am also happy that the theming is recurring again. Especially in the new Mardi Gras section, it is pleasant that everything does reflect the theme! The park still needs to improve the Yankee Territory back to theming. This used to be a very nice section of the park until it was taken over buy Batman and Vertical Velocity.

Except for some of the high prices and a few unruly teens in the crowd, I am certainly pleased and happy that my beloved park is still as good...no, great as ever!

CONGRATS, SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

On Saturday Demon's line was to Demon Nachoes and spilling out onto the midway.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

The Demon always has a huge line during Fright Fest. Im glad you had a good time even though this is the worst Fright Fest Ive been to. 2004 was sort of the comeback year for Fright Fest and last year wasnt as good. Six Flags got cheap and the budget to pay JPM for the scaractors was lowered so thats why there are less at the park. This cut affected the train and JPM isnt doing it. It was supposed to be Scooby Doo but Six Flags is using their own staff. The cast didnt get much help from Six Flags either. The cast had to think of their own storyline and choreograhpy. The worst part is that they had to buy their own costumes.

I think its stupid that theres fireworks after the Zombie Jamboree. It makes the scary atmosphere fun and happy. I think the parade is a little better this year. This year there really isnt any scary music playing like there has been in previous years. Constantly there was the Halloween theme music and other stuff playing. I really havent heard much this year. There is probably half the decorations and Blood River isnt open. The biggest disappointment for me is Necropolis. There isnt that much decoration and half the scaractors. Mausoleum of Terror is pretty good and thats suffered as well. Its only looking worse for next years Fright Fest.
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

^ 2003 was the good year. 2004 they reversed the direction of Necropolis and pretty much ruined it. IMO, having Necropolis' entrance by Logger's Run does not work at all.
GreatAmerica4ever wrote:Finally, at 9:30, ten minutes of fireworks shot from the parking lot. While exiting the park, I realized that many people stayed for the parade at Hometown Square.
The fireworks are not shot off from the parking lot. They are shot from 3 locations in Hometown Square (In front of the train station building, and from the roofs of the Park Operations building and the Funnel Cake building). The show I would estimate to be around 3-4 minutes, certainly not anywhere near 10. During the fireworks (about 5 minutes before they start until they are over) Whizzer temporarily ceases operation due to the fireworks on the Funnel Cake building.
It's Whizzer time!
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

2003 was pretty good but 2004 was a lot better. I forgot all about the entrance change to Necropolis. That was a bad idea but Necropolis was still pretty good. It should be changed back to the way it was though.
Imeanbusiness
Buzzy Bee

Post by Imeanbusiness »

We had plans in place for over flow lines at the Demon this summer. We tried to avoid using the horse shoe as much as posible due to large amounts of line jumping so we made a queue out of the make shift chains and ropes we found around the park. We basically turned the queue rails that lead to no where into a feasable queue line. Fun times at my favorite ride in disrepear, Demon. :D
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Imeanbusiness wrote:We had plans in place for over flow lines at the Demon this summer. We tried to avoid using the horse shoe as much as posible due to large amounts of line jumping so we made a queue out of the make shift chains and ropes we found around the park. We basically turned the queue rails that lead to no where into a feasable queue line. Fun times at my favorite ride in disrepear, Demon. :D
I'm curious, just what do you mean by the "Horseshoe"?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

^ Yes I'm curious about that too...

Do you mean the wide section of the queue that turns around after going under the lift?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

^ I'm not positive, but I don't think Santa Clara's Demon has the horseshoes. The horeshoes in Gurnee are 2 very long queues located between the station and the exit path.
It's Whizzer time!