Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight added

Your questions and suggestions related to the GREATAMERICAparks.com site are welcome here. Information about site updates or changes will also be posted here.
steven
Site Admin

Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight added

Post by steven »

Hi,

It's here: Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight.

There are lots of vintage photos in the accompanying photo album (linked from the page linked above) that show more than just Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight. Be sure to check it out and let me know what you think.

Steven
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

Totally great, Steven!

I love the photos!!! Life was so much simpler then! I especially love seeing the former employee uniforms.
EagleMom
Gulf Coaster

Post by EagleMom »

Fantastic pictures! Really puts me back to 1980. Love the last one of "Delta Flyer"- I can remember being in that queue.
I like how the park used to have more landscaping- little areas with grass and trees, surrounded by curbs.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I loved Delta Flyer as well... was a little scary in the wind though.

It was just interesting that the Skyride in Disney's Magic Kingdom was also taken out around the same time... I think the Skyrides for the most part went the way of the Parachute rides....
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks for the feedback!

Actually, Disney's skyrides remained in service until much later. The one in Florida closed on 9 November 1999 -- fifteen years after Gurnee's Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight was closed. And of course, Santa Clara's Delta Flyer / Eagle's Flight is still going strong today -- twenty-four years after the demise of the Gurnee version.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Steven,
In one of the photos there's a small portion of the Fiddler's Fling sign in Gurnee. Did Fiddler's in Gurnee at one point have a completely different sign than the one it has today and do you have a better shot of that sign? It looks like it's on it's own posts instead of being bolted to the queue house.

Great to see an update here and I love the photos!
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

jonrev wrote:Steven,
In one of the photos there's a small portion of the Fiddler's Fling sign in Gurnee. Did Fiddler's in Gurnee at one point have a completely different sign than the one it has today and do you have a better shot of that sign? It looks like it's on it's own posts instead of being bolted to the queue house.

Great to see an update here and I love the photos!
From what I remember there used to be a set of posts with the words "Fiddler's Fling" on them (I think the words were arranged vertically...along with a couple of notes...)

This has always been one of my favorite flats at GA...
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Jonrev!

About the Fiddler's Fling sign, there was one on a kind of spiral structure made up of wooden posts. I don't have a good photo of it at either park at the moment. In this photo, you can see most of it at Santa Clara below the blue cabin number 12. Gurnee had the same thing, although the positioning could have been slightly different.

Steven