later advertisments omit Marriott's name

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
akorbel
Gulf Coaster

later advertisments omit Marriott's name

Post by akorbel »

Sorry, this is all complete speculation but I noticed the "Get Carried Away" advertisement doesn't mention the "Marriott's"name. Same thing with the 1982 "Hand in hand" campaign. Interesting: I wonder if that was intentional? Perhaps Marriott was trying to disassociate their name from the parks as early as '82 to make for an easier sale and smoother transition out of the theme park business? Maybe Marriott had planned to sell the Silicon Valley MGA around the time of the "Hand in hand" campaign. Except that there was a recession that lasted until Nov '82 so they would have wanted to wait until the economy recovered to get the best price for the land and/or assets.

LOL I'm such a dork for putting this much thought into it :)
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Not a dork, just a MGA junkie, that's all. Good observation, btw.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi,

Actually, that trend started with 1981's "Maybe a great day is just what you need this year". I found it very noticeable that it was the first advertising song for the park to just say "GREAT AMERICA" rather than "Marriott's GREAT AMERICA". While the song omitted "Marriott's", the logo still showed it. This was the case in the subsequent ad campaigns as well. The "Marriott's" was not dropped from the logo until after the sale of the parks. For Gurnee, "Six Flags" was substituted in place of "Marriott's". For Santa Clara, the "Marriott's" was simply dropped and the logo became just plain "GREAT AMERICA".

Steven