Pictorium UPDATE!!!!!!

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Pictoriumguy
Buzzy Bee

Pictorium UPDATE!!!!!!

Post by Pictoriumguy »

Last week I visited Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara. While there I was kinda tired of riding the rides so I decided to go check out the old Pictorium. I hoped over the trash cans blocking the entrance and then I ventured up to the knobless doors. All of the doors were shut except for one that was slightly open. I THEN OPENED THE DOOR! WOW!!!!!!!!!!
What I saw was unbelieveable. The gigantic screen has BEEN REMOVED but the lights were on inside but they were very low (I was very scared).
All of the theaters seats are still there( I must say it could have seated thousands!!). The black wall where the screen use to be was ragged looking and old. Then I thought to myself I wonder what is up in the control room where the projector use to be. I then walked across the theater and went up the stairs going into the room. WOW AGAIN!! The room was covered with brand new equipment and an IMAX labeled laptop.
Also there was a CD rack containing all of the films that use to be played there including The last buffalo and some other films. They also had a lot of films that used to be played in the other 3D theater including U-571, Titanic, the racing movie, and some comic book movie. Since I have been very upset with the managment of PGA for taking all of my favorite attractions out I decided to get a little revenge by taking all the movies and looking through the laptop (by the way the movies were in dvd form so i will post them all of them up on my website shortly. I hope this gives all of you Pictorium lovers somthing to think about :)
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Pictoriumguy,

While we appreciate an update about the Pictorium, we absolutely do not condone trespass and theft. In addition, information about confidential business plans cannot be posted here. I edited your post to remove the sentence with that information.

Steven
Demondude102110
Gulf Coaster

Post by Demondude102110 »

Lucky you didn't get caught! You could have been arrested :shock:
Demon rules!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Is that the building in front of Top Gun?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

No, the building in front of Top Gun is the Showtime Theater, originally Theatre Royale. The Pictorium is over next to the Star Tower, previously known as the Sky Tower.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Thanks Steven
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Kinda funny, as none of what Pictoriumguy is speaking of exists.
Nice story though....
-RD
Pictoriumguy
Buzzy Bee

Post by Pictoriumguy »

Interesting you say this Bush (seeing that you have been in the pictorium latley :D ), and also I strongly adivse none of you to attempt what I have done seeing that I am very lucky. Please PM me if you would like to see some of my pictures from my trip to PGA.
ronald
Gulf Coaster

Pictorium

Post by ronald »

hello iam a big fan of the pictorium in gurnee and i went there on columbus day me and my fiance and we saw haunted castle on this big screen.this is my 3rd time in all the years its been built to be in there but my question is when did this thing look like going up from open land to the worlds largest theatre at mga and if anyone has any construction pictures of the pictorium in gurnee?thank you :wink:
if anyone has info on obtaining park maps of this park from 1976-2006 please send me a message or email message thank you very much.
mulletman13
Buzzy Bee

Post by mulletman13 »

Why would just the screen be gone... :?: :?:
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Any pics of what PGA's Pictorium looks like today?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Not legally. The Pictorium at PGA is closed to the public. Chances of getting pics are slim.
-RD
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Maybe I missed some of the discussion: why did PGA close their Pictorium? It was/is always a good draw in the Gurnee park ... especially nice on those 90 degree / 120% humidity days when the temp in there is like, 65.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

No official reason was given. It just didn't reopen after its final season. I always enjoyed the Pictoriums at both parks. For Santa Clara, it was the only regular IMAX screen in the South Bay. There is a very popular IMAX Dome at the Tech Museum in San José. I like the IMAX Dome a lot, but I prefer seeing IMAX films on the regular IMAX screen.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

What was the SC Pictoriums final operating season for the time being?