totem poles at MGA

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
steven
Site Admin

totem poles at MGA

Post by steven »

Totem poles were features of Yukon Territory at both parks. At Santa Clara, a man named George Gulli had an area in Yukon Territory where he carved totem poles in view of the guests. I take it that these were offered for sale. Does anyone know the EXACT location of his carving area in Santa Clara? I've seen photos, but so far have not been able to pinpoint the exact location. It appears to have been somewhere near the former Klondike Cafe. Incidentally, his works appeared to be magnificent. Photos will be added to the site in the future.

Also, was there a similar totem pole carving area in Gurnee? I do not remember ever seeing such a place there. I only remember finished poles that were installed as theme elements in the area.

Steven
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Steven,

From looking at three different SC MGA maps it appears the Totem Pole Carving area was between Saskatchewan Scrambler and Yukon Yahoo on the same side of the path. Wish I could scan it and show it to you.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks. I'll try to find one of those maps and take a look in that area. Was there a name associated with the totem pole carving area?

Here are two photos:

Because of what appears to be a green metal building in the background on the right, I believe the second photo was taken in the backstage area.

Steven
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Steven,

On the 1976 souvenir map it's labeled "Totem Pole Carving". On the brochure map from the same year it doesn't say anything, but shows an area which corresponds to the souvenir map.

This is an image redfishpaw posted in another topic which is also available in the 1976 book The Great American Amusement Parks.

http://www.pbase.com/redfishpaw/image/47499877

If you look in the upper area of the image you can see the covered bridge that takes you from Yankee Harbor to Yukon Territory. If you crossed the bridge you'd encounter the Northwest Shooting Gallery to your right and straight ahead a little patch of what looks like the Totem Pole Carving area just below Saskatchewan Scrambler. I actually watched him carving one time.

I sure hope I'm not mis-guiding you, but that's all I could find from resources I have available.

Can anyone else confirm or dispute the location of the Totem Pole Carver?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks! I hope that anyone else with more info will chime in.

Steven
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

From what I can see on the photo and on the SC 1979 map I have, the Totem Pole Carving area was the same location where, in Gurnee, the Totem Post gift shop was located. So I don't think we had a carver on-site in Gurnee. However, I recall seeing in pictures and maps two extremely tall poles outside the Totem Post store and always wondered what they were for. Nothing seems to be indicated on the maps, but I thought maybe they had pole climbing contests or something. Anyone know anything about that?
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I've seen old video footage of climbers on the tall poles in Yukon. There were also log rolling contests in the water next to Loggers Run. I do not believe that guests participated in these contests, but were only spectators.

Steven
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Some of the smaller totems still exist in the park, but no where a regular guest can access. I don't suggest finding them, but I know of at least two in the park.
-RD
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Might they be visible from the Star Tower or Delta / Eagles or some other ride if you know where to look???

Steven
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

No, Possibly Invertigo.
-RD
Totem
Buzzy Bee

Totem Post

Post by Totem »

Almost a year later and I will be able to help a little bit on the totem pole artist George Gulli Sr. my grandfather. He was located in the Yukon Territory in Santa Clara's Marriott's Great America. This is going back 25 plus years back in my memory, so please excuse me if the description is a little fuzzy. If facing grandpa's carving area watching him carve he was in front of the little kids bumper cars, to the left of the Trading Post, to the right was the Shooting Gallery and the Klondike Restaurant was behind him. Hope that helps a little bit.
As for the totem poles in Gurnee, I know he did carve all poles I don't know if he carved them on site. I do remember stories of him traveling to carve in other states I'm not positive if he did do it for Mr. Marriott but I do remember my uncle talking about something to that sort. Grandpa also carved one of the stable multiple person wooden attractions on the Double Decker Merry Go Round at SC MGA.
Grandpa was also illustrated in a Denise the Menace Comic Book " Denise the Menace visits Marriott's Great America".
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Totem,

Thank you! It's terrific to have you here on the forums. Your grandfather did some amazing work and your whole family should be very proud.

I've read some terrific stories about him. I don't remember this one exactly, but I recall reading that prior to the parks opening, some early "PC" people were complaining about having someone of Italian heritage carving native American totem poles. As the story went, Marriott had your grandfather's work reviewed by some authoritative native American chief. The chief reportedly was so impressed that he gave your grandfather his full blessing to carve as many of the beautiful totem poles that he could. I'm sure that this brief summary doesn't do the story justice.

Steven
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

there are I think 3 in the little dirt eating area outside of the cafe in SC.