Demon at Gurnee's Glory Days are BACK!!!!!!Fright Fest Only!

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
rich12_16
Gulf Coaster

Demon at Gurnee's Glory Days are BACK!!!!!!Fright Fest Only!

Post by rich12_16 »

For Fright Fest 2005, in Gurnee, the old themeing has returned, red lights, chasing tunnle lights, tiki torches, fog in all tunnels, flames in station, Demon old song, 3-D logo's on front of train, and best of all, the gutter pipe with the red glowing eyes! Go see!!!!!!!!!!Do it, run, hurry. Hehe.
Paramount's Great America dissapoints me.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

:D :D :D :D

Great news! Any pics of how it looks now?
I thought they got rid of all of those things a long time ago (by trhowing them out or something)!
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Why don't they just keep it that way, I mean really!
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

jonrev wrote::D :D :D :D

I thought they got rid of all of those things a long time ago (by trhowing them out or something)!
Brian mentioned in another thread that he is going to the park this weekend to take some pictures. Maybe he'll get one of the demon.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Thanks for the heads up on that. I know in the past the park has added "some" of the theming back on Demon during Fright Fest. Usually the blood red waterfall, and the theme music in the queue. But, if they went all out and put the old logo's back on the trains, and have the glowing eyes by the sign...that would just rock.

I did say I was going to try to get out there this weekend. I'm going to make an effort to do so, and I will bring my camera with. Not sure if I will go Saturday or Sunday, but when I go, I'll post pictures in this thread.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks Brian....

Also,
Here are some nice Gurnee demon pics
the 4th one is of the light tunnel.

http://www.alexsplace.com/Photos/Six-Fl ... n-Main.htm

I especially like the 6th photo
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

http://community.webshots.com/photo/470 ... 8916AulvZJ#
Photo of Demon Sign taken by w00dland. I wish they brought back the old BIG drain pipe with the red eyse instead of the tiny one.

They also painted the Sky Whirl cages black!! :cry: (photo also by w00dland)
http://community.webshots.com/photo/470 ... 8644MkFyXB#
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks for sharing the link to the FF photos, The Demon sign is very cool. I also checked some of the other FF photos in Woodlands gallery.
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

they added a decal on the front of the train that looks almost like the emblem that it used to have, its very cool to see. the queue is great at night =)
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Was out at the park this afternoon / evening, and took a few pictures.

Here is a shot of the Demon sign during the day. Again, its not as cool as it was back in the early 80's, but still cool.

At night, it looks awsome. Pictures do not do this justice, but with the fog, the lights, and the Demon music playing, it really brings back a lot of memories.

Also, not sure if w00dland knew this or not, but I wanted to share that you can SIT in the Sky Whirl Cabins.

Here's a shot of the inside of one of them

And here is a shot of me sitting in it.

It felt good to sit in them again, but at the same time, it was also sad :cry:
Last edited by BrianPlencner on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photos Brian, The demon looks cool. Thanks for taking them.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Cool pictures.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

jonrev wrote::D :D :D :D

Actually, PGA didn't take away the chaser lights. They just don't use them. I rode Demon a few days ago and I was able to see where the chaser lights were. I also saw some flames in front of the station that were never taken out.
I miss Tidal Wave
gothamkid120
Buzzy Bee

Post by gothamkid120 »

I personally want to congratulate Six Flags Great America on a wonderful job this season and Fright Fest! It’s not often that they step up to the plate with going over the top and hit a homerun.
Demon absolutely looks amazing! I wasn't around for the Demon of the early 80's but all I can say is I'm impressed with what it is right now. Just the entrance sign alone at night is 150x better and more impressive. The way the smoke billows thorough the sign with the amazing lighting is really CREEPY! The eyes are a nice touch too; although rather small they get the effect across. The Demon Song in the line really makes it that much more retro sounding and really adds to the effect. Not to mention all the red lights, smoke, and torches in the line, which are awesome. I’m a huge Demon fan and every little detail makes it that much more sweet such as the flames on the Operator Panel or old Demon logo on the front of the train. The station is basically complete chaos at night with all the red lights, smoke and music. The costumes are pretty sweet too and just add a little bit more to the overall DEMON experience.
I would also just like to say that I really hope this is just an annual thing during Fright Fest. If the Demon were Fright Fest-ized all year I believe that it would take away from something and would not make it special. Well maybe they could leave the smoke in the tunnel, old logos on the trains and the flames on the Operator Panel. But overall Demon looks amazing this Fright Fest and I want to say good job Six Flags Great America for going over the top!

Oh yeah P.S. Happy 25th Anniversary Demon!
:D
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Most likely the flames on the op's panel and the logo will stay for the regular season.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007