What GREAT AMERICA did you live near?

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

I live about 30 minutes from Gurnee...and yet somehow I still managed to visit it 48 times in the 2005 season :D
HoneyBunny
Gulf Coaster

Post by HoneyBunny »

I used to live in Elgin (by Gurnee) and hope to move back soon, although being in Phoenix now, I suppose I am close enough to SC to go check it out :)
"How much money you got left?"
"$2.50, why?"
"Buy me a twicket!"
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Hi,

I live near Bolingbrook so I'm closer to Gurnee... Never been to the one in SC...
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

coasterfan71555 wrote:I lived near the Gurnee park. When it opened, . . . The drive was through the countryside in those days, all farms and stop signs instead of today's subdivisions, shopping centers and traffic lights! . . .
I lived in Round Lake, 11 miles from my door to the employee parking lot. Back then, there was NOTHING along Grand Avenue until you reached the park, and it was under a 20 minute drive.

One winter, we had a pretty big snowstorm, and I drove my snowmobile to work, and parked in the motorcycle area. The security guard at the gate shook his head and said "now I've seen everything".
I took the "back route" (Washington Ave.) that day. I doubt there's any way you could navigate that route on a snowmobile today! :?

PPG
Last edited by Tech Services 1 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

That's a cool way to get to work.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Gurnee. My first visit was in 1976 and we went at least twice as a family after that-- last time was probably 1981 or so. I never went again until 1986 with my freshman class in High School... and I rode my first rollercoaster-- The Z-Force. Two years later I started working there.

I've been to Santa Clara twice - 1990 and 2000. It was amazing to me how much the park changed in that 10 years... and if I went now, I'd probably be amazed all over again.

I lived in Kenosha, WI, so it took about 30 minutes to get there... always took back roads. I could make that drive in my sleep. :-)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
thadpk
Buzzy Bee

Post by thadpk »

Gurnee... About 1 1/2 hours north in Oshkosh,WI.... How I envy all of you who had the blessed opportunity to work at this wonderful place.... :)
I miss the glory days.... Come back to me...
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Santa Clara...15 minutes by freeway.....25 minutes by expressway.
Old Guy
Buzzy Bee

Got you all beat

Post by Old Guy »

Gurnee
Our lot line was Marriott’s lot line! I used to ride horses and minibikes, fish in the pond and help out on the farm that was there before Great America. I worked there summer of 76 in the laundry which was great because we had admin name tags and didn't have to wear uniforms (can you say free admission?). Speaking of that we also had several ways to sneak into the park from fence holes to rubbing grape chapstick on the back of our hands to imitate the re-entry stamp. The down side was the noise, mostly the click clack of the coaters going up and the "please keep your hands inside the boat" announcement of the flume. Ah the good old days.
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

Gurnee. Enough said.

I never went to the Santa Clara one. In fact, I've never been to California. Period.
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

Santa Clara. I used to live 45 min away, but now it's 1 1/2-2 hours from Sac. I remember going there once a year as a kid and getting excited being on Highway 101 and seeing part of the top of the Star Tower poking out from the distance though we were still 2 miles away. I knew we were closeby!
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Re: Got you all beat

Post by RLAiello »

Old Guy wrote:Gurnee
Our lot line was Marriott’s lot line! I used to ride horses and minibikes, fish in the pond and help out on the farm that was there before Great America. I worked there summer of 76 in the laundry which was great because we had admin name tags and didn't have to wear uniforms (can you say free admission?). Speaking of that we also had several ways to sneak into the park from fence holes to rubbing grape chapstick on the back of our hands to imitate the re-entry stamp. The down side was the noise, mostly the click clack of the coaters going up and the "please keep your hands inside the boat" announcement of the flume. Ah the good old days.
Hey "old guy"... was the pond that you went fishing in the same pond that is next to the park now... or did they build that when they built the park?

What cool memories... Somewhere, someone once posted an overhead image of the Great America site before the park was built. I don't remember where I saw that, but it was really fascinating to see.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Rick,

I had posted those aerial views last year I beleive

Here they are again
:arrow: http://www.pbase.com/redfishpaw/great_america

Thanks
Greezed Lightening
Gulf Coaster

Post by Greezed Lightening »

30 min or less to Santa Clara Great America.
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

I lived in Sunnyvale so I was only 15-20 minutes away from Santa Clara.
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86