Pleasant Employees and No TVs While in Line

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Pleasant Employees and No TVs While in Line

Post by JW65 »

Does anyone remember how incredibly helpful and pleasant all of the ride operators, and other employees of the park were in the early years? Even what they wore was smarter looking than what the kids are wearing now. I think much of what employees said to the visitors of the park in the 70s was scripted. Something like...."We know you'll have a great day here at Marriott's Great America." It was insipid, but refreshing compared to what is being said or not being said now in the park as you go to the rides.

Back then there weren't TVs blasting advertising or silly cartoons at you as you stood in lines either. Some kid's attention spans are short, but I never liked the TVs that were installed in the lines. After all when you are at the park, you shouldn't feel like you are in your living room in front of a TV.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

It is my observation that the older employees working now are much friendlier than the 15 and 16 year olds that work there. Usually the young kids chat with each other and another problem is that supervisors are less strict about that. But, I also had great experiences with younger kids especially some ride operators.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The main "scripted" phrase that I remember was "And have a GREAT day here at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA" that was usually announced over the PA system as guests were exiting a ride.

Steven
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

In the early days you had to go through a day long orientation, where you learned everything about the Marriott corporation, as well as everything in the park. We had a dress code, boys could not have facial hair or hair below the ears. Girls could only have one ear piercing. You had to wear black or brown leather shows, and so on. Also, the costumes all went with the themed areas. Santa Clara's is no longer themed and every one wears the same outfit. It's been several years since I've been there, but the last time I went I was appalled. There were employees that didn't speak english, they brought their purses and lunch boxes out with them (that was a big no, no). And they did not follow safety guidelines on the kiddie rides that I used to work with (would explain the condition they were in). I big disappointment.
Demondude102110
Gulf Coaster

Post by Demondude102110 »

This is just my opinion but I think that when Six Flags purchased the great america in Gurnee that the friendliness of the employees has gone down. I also thinks that this holds true for the park in Santa Clara. But thats just my opinion.
Demon rules!
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Are the TVs still at the park now?
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

The TV's are still at the Gurnee park, but no new ones have been added since 1992 (in Batman's overflow queues).
It's Whizzer time!
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Tanya wrote:We had a dress code, boys could not have facial hair or hair below the ears. Girls could only have one ear piercing. You had to wear black or brown leather shows, and so on.
I always thought that policy was long due for an overhaul. Even Disneyland modified their dress code. What does it matter as long as an employee is clean and neat in appearance and is courteous to the paying customer.
Tanya wrote: Also, the costumes all went with the themed areas. Santa Clara's is no longer themed and every one wears the same outfit.
I'm sure it's more cost effective. While you and I may care about these details I doubt the average visitor gives it much thought.
Tanya wrote:It's been several years since I've been there, but the last time I went I was appalled.
There were times when I wasn't that impressed with PGA either and it still has a way to go, however in recent years they have improved and are moving in the right direction. There's a lot more family type attractions and activities offered.
Tanya wrote:There were employees that didn't speak english, they brought their purses and lunch boxes out with them (that was a big no, no). And they did not follow safety guidelines on the kiddie rides that I used to work with (would explain the condition they were in)
Not being able to communicate safety to guests is definitely bad. When I worked at SCBB the number one rule pounded into us was "Safety First" above all else.

I think it's safe to assume that most theme amusement parks don't run the way they used to. Like any business they have to change to survive.