Anyone else find the name awkward?

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
tommers
Buzzy Bee

Anyone else find the name awkward?

Post by tommers »

Growing up I didn't think much about the name "Great America" because it was just ingrained in my little mind as a phrase. But later it seemed kind of odd. Is it "America", but a greater version of it?

I would just imagine when people first heard this name it would have sounded a little awkward. Anyone remember feeling that way? Anyone know why this name and phrasing was chosen?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Lol, I get to go see my family in Europe this year and tell them I'm obsessed with "Great America", What do you think they'll think...Whoo! Patriotic me right :roll:
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Everything was Pro-America when the park opened in 1976. After looking at a few souvenier books, the idea was that the greastest things about america were all in one place now at the park..... such as going to the county fair with your family, fishing at a new england fishing harbor, etc.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Yes, being "America" was all about the Bicentennial that first year the parks opened.