Cost to Build Each Park

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Cost to Build Each Park

Post by JW65 »

Does anyone know the approximate cost to build each of the parks? I remember reading somewhere that each cost about 50 million to construct. Remember, these were 1972-1976 dollars! Could they even build a roller coaster for that amount today??
Last edited by JW65 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I just finished reading the article that Steven posted a link for about the third MGA on the east coast. The article (chaper) mentions an estimated 35 Million for that MGA. Has anyone else heard of a more accurate figure for the total cost of building the existing parks?
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I just dug out a bunch of newspaper articles from 1976 that my Grandmother saved. They state that the park, in Santa Clara, cost $50 million. Also one of the articles states that The Columbia carousel cost $2 million. I'm going to try and get these articles scanned.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Welcome Tanya! Thanks for confirming the information on the price. That would be great if you could get some of the articles scanned.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Just noticed this explanation from the Santa Clara park (which says 40 million):
http://www.thrillride.com/stealth/stealth.html

I find this line quite interesting ->
"We don't expect people to drive halfway across the country to visit a Great America park... Ideally, we'd like to dot the entire nation with Great America parks..."
-Bruce Burtch
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!