Hello Everyone

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Dolphin
Buzzy Bee

Hello Everyone

Post by Dolphin »

I just registered, and i thought i'd say something :)

I'm 17, so when Marriott still owned the (Santa Clara) park i was VERY small. I do remember going (It might of been after they were bought, but still had most of the rides. I've been going since like.. 4? so 1992).
I've gotten season passes for the last few years. Sadily, this has let me see many of my favorite rides dissapear.
Ironicly, i just got employed as a vender at PGA.
I was very upset when they took out the IMAX, that was some of the best free movies you could get :(. Too much spongebob makes me sick sometimes :/
Besides the IMAX, i loved the free train. I was so sad that they took that out. And The Edge. The Edge was my favorite Rollercoster for thelongest time. THe Drop Zone just doesn't compare anymore.
And the water park is jsut sad.. but to give them Credit, Drillium was fun :P

Its extremely sad that the rollercosters have fallen into disarray. Demon and Top Gun (the latter i beleive is newer, as it has a paramount name.. hey i was too young to remember what rides were where), both used to be great themed rides. There is no longer that haunting laugh, they got rid of it two years ago, its starting to show light though the cave... and without the train there.. *sigh* And the TV's now play like Pop instead of ride-themed entertainment. I think it would be more fun to go on a ride that had everything around one theme.. but i was to young to go on rollercosters when Great America had that.
(There is still that "One hour wait from here" sign on the Top Gun ride though :P)

And does anyone remember those troll things? the houses? i don't know if that was a Marriott thing, but they used to be where dropzone is.

You can still see the one train station at PGA :( :( :(. I loved that Train.. i was sooo upset when it dissapeared.. but now i'm complaining.. :P

To be honest, i like worshipped the Edge. Although i only knew it as that orange rollercoster. It rocked <3 <3 <3 <3.

And a final thought: I probally want to disagree with the majority sentiment here that the park is worse and can never go back to the good old days. It didn't really get worse, it just changed. It used to be a THEME park, where everything revolved around a theme. It has simply grown up. It has become less of a family park. You have the right side which is for adults, with rollercosters ect, and the left side which is for kids, using their annoying nicktoons thing. Most of the cross generation rides are being removed. And while i disagree with that, they are catering to a different audience... ones with more money apparently.. or there is alot more of them, one or the other >.<

Anyway, Hi :) :) :)

(PS. And i do have a question, on anyone who keeps up with Great America now, do you know why they removed stealth? That just wiered me out, they just put it in o.o)
(PSS. I didn't sound to complayie did i? I don't mean to :P)
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

<<And does anyone remember those troll things? the houses? i don't know if that was a Marriott thing, but they used to be where dropzone is. >>

I think you're talking about the Smurf houses, located in Smurf Woods. That area is where the Nick toons area is now, not where the Drop Zone is.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by dpxtreme »

Dolphin wrote: (PS. And i do have a question, on anyone who keeps up with Great America now, do you know why they removed stealth? That just wiered me out, they just put it in o.o)
(PSS. I didn't sound to complayie did i? I don't mean to :P)
They took out Stealth because it was plagued with problems and tons of downtime. They did an entire year of testing before it opened. And when it did, it broke down a lot. The hourly capacity was under 1,000, which should have been around 1,100-1,300. The load times were ridiculous. Probably about 10 minutes most of the time to get a train dispatched. And the park was going the family route and put the stupid a*s Boomerang Bay in it's place. It was my favorite ride, but now I have to do without it. :(
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

^ Stealth was relocated to Carowinds (BORG Assimilator). I would tend to think that Paramount would have thought their investment would be utilized better at a different park. I don't think they relocated it because of down time or mechanical issues at PGA. Plus I'm sure they needed Stealth's space for the waterpark.