Third Park in Maryland

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Third Park in Maryland

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Wasn't the original plan to open 3 parks simultaneously; San Francisco, Chicago and DC (somewhere in Maryland)? I thought I read that around the time Santa Clara park opened in March '76.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

It would be interesting to know the exact location. Does anyone know where in Maryland or DC it was supposed to be? Would be interesting to know how the fate of this park would have played out! LOL
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The third park was originally supposed to open in 1976 along with the other two. Actually with the 1976 Bicentennial, the DC area park was expected to draw a lot of crowds from the throngs of visitors to the nation's capital that year. It was first proposed for Howard County, Maryland -- around the Columbia, Maryland area, I believe. That would have placed it midway between Baltimore and Washington, similar to how Gurnee is midway between Chicago and Milwaukee. Local opposition in Maryland got it shot down. Then, it was Virginia's turn to do the same. Another site was proposed at Manassas, Virginia. You can read an account of that interesting tale here: http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_bo ... /adhi7.htm

The Marriott's GREAT AMERICA site at Manassas is now part of the Manassas National Battlefield Park.

Steven
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Third park in Maryland

Post by dth1971 »

Lucky Marriott's Great America wasn't built in Howard County, Maryland even though there used to be a theme park in Howard County (Ellicott City) called The Enchanted Forest.

Great America was not the only park to fail to get the Mannassas, VA land, Disney's America was planned and failed to be built as well.

Would it have been great if there was a 3rd. Great America park (or 4th. if the Washington, D.C. area did exist in real like) in Florida - But most not likely the Walt Disney World area in Orlando, Florida?