Ghetto America

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
BroadwayBill
Gulf Coaster

Ghetto America

Post by BroadwayBill »

Let me preface this by saying I use the word "ghetto" to denote "rundown, low rent, tacky"... and not in any racial way.

I attended the Great America 30 year show dept. reunion was at Santa Clara GA last weekend and I was so disappointed on how ghetto it's become. Everything seemed a bit dirty, in need of paint, and unorganized. The theme of Great America doesn't exist anymore.

They've turned Yukon Territory into one big Nickelodeon land and slapped weird facades onto the formerly western theme. It looks terrible. Yankee Harbor is just a waterpark and very little remains of the New England fishing village theme. The only areas that look decent are Hometown Square (except the removal of the train depot and train tracks makes it less "homey")

As far as the shows go it's my understanding that Pictorium and Theater Royal have been dark for 5 years. No shows running there. The Grand Music Hall show School of Rock was pretty awful... prerecorded music, bad vocals, and the use of movie clips. The Musical Hall was always billed as "Great America's Showcase of Young Talent"... shows had live orchestras and 18 performers doing Vegas/Broadway style shows. It's sad to see what's running there now.

I hope Cedar Point restores the Great America theme and brings back shows of quality to all the theaters. For a $52 admission price you expect a Disneyland type of experience with a clean park, great rides and shows, and an atmosphere of wholesomeness. The current state of GA is very seedy.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I know that the Pictorium has been collecting dust for some time now but I never knew that Theatre Royale (or whatever the hell they've renamed it) was closed too.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

jonrev wrote:I know that the Pictorium has been collecting dust for some time now but I never knew that Theatre Royale (or whatever the hell they've renamed it) was closed too.
Yep, but they do use it for some random events... such as Dance Days which was like 3 days in late April.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Magic Hate Ball
Buzzy Bee

Post by Magic Hate Ball »

"Theatre Royale" is Fake for "Theater".

Hopefully CF cleans the park up. They've got the funds to get most of the big rides new coats of paint. Look at Cedar Point, it's clean and friendly and everything is well-kept. PGA is, sadly, not very clean or well-kept. Still friendly, though.
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

1. No pre-recorded music way used at all in School of Rock.
2. The youngsters that you claim lack talent, are right now in 2 well known local rock bands, in Las Vegas STOMP and playwriting and composing in San Francisco. They are very talented.
3. Showtime Theater just got a new sound and lighting system and has been home to Ed Alonso - Misfit of Magic this past year.
4. I work my ass off at work and still find time to pick up any trash I see laying around.