1976 Gurnee Journey

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
bigley
Buzzy Bee

1976 Gurnee Journey

Post by bigley »

Did anyone from Santa Clara participate in the Gurnee Journey in 1976. The journey happened in August, when the management of the Gurnee park began to realize that alot of midwest colleges and high schools began class in mid August. This created a shortage of employees at the Gurnee park. A little over one hundred employees were sent from Santa Clara to help man positions in Gurnee. The staff was put up in the Lincolnshire resort. Long hours were put in by all, but alot of GREAT memories happened :P
Santa Clara - 1976 - 1981
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I hadn't heard of the Gurnee Journey, but was wondering how staff has been maintained in post years during that same time period.
Imeanbusiness
Buzzy Bee

Post by Imeanbusiness »

They still do a program like that. In late may and late August, employees from Kentucky Kingdom and St. Louis come up and operate. They learn alot from us. :lol:
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Re: 1976 Gurnee Journey

Post by Tech Services 1 »

bigley wrote:Did anyone from Santa Clara participate in the Gurnee Journey in 1976. The journey happened in August, when the management of the Gurnee park began to realize that alot of midwest colleges and high schools began class in mid August. This created a shortage of employees at the Gurnee park. A little over one hundred employees were sent from Santa Clara to help man positions in Gurnee. The staff was put up in the Lincolnshire resort. Long hours were put in by all, but alot of GREAT memories happened :P
I have a few old slides from the Marketing department that show the Santa Clara groups on the planes and buses en route to Gurnee.
I'll scan and post them when I find the time!

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
JCapriotti
Buzzy Bee

Post by JCapriotti »

JW65 wrote:I hadn't heard of the Gurnee Journey, but was wondering how staff has been maintained in post years during that same time period.
I can't speak with authority... but from my experience, park hours are shortened, those who can work get lots of overtime, and staffing is shifted around a bit. I was a Park Services (sweeper) seasonal supervisor, and I was asked to work in rides (I said "sure!"). Another year in October (my first year), I was basically told to work in foods. That was not fun...

Not to sound bitter... it was all fun in certain ways. But the funny thing throughout was that operating rides and bringing in money was more of a priority than keeping the park clean.