Graduation/Senior Night at SFGAm

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Graduation/Senior Night at SFGAm

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

I remember when Gurnee had a special annual night for seniors of high school graduation classes at the park. I remember that they were held on Friday nights in June.

I graduated in 1987 and I remember that they cancelled that year and every year since. My friends and I were very disappointed about this at the time!

Does anyone know the exact reasoning for the cancelations? Did Marriott ever have a Senior Night, too?

Thanks!
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

Well Last year GAm Had Had One and many years before that during the old Paramount era. Post Paramount? I Dono.

(GAm=Santa Clara SFGAm=Gurnee)
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I think there was a gang related incident in 1987 that led to shots being fired between two students from different high schools.

However I don't know if that was the official reason they called off the Senior night.
customfabricators
Gulf Coaster

Post by customfabricators »

Senior Night ended because of the extreme misbehavior of the clientele in the park those nights. Sex, drugs, alcohol, shoplifting, linejumping, rudeness, vandalisim were all problems.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Yeah that's the story I heard when I started working there in '88, and the basic gist was that the park management didn't want to host another Grad Night event again after the shooting incident.

Apparently the shooting occurred in the parking lot and nobody was injured. That's what I had heard.

Anyone have any specific information to add?
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BillK
Gulf Coaster

Post by BillK »

I remember my Grad Night, in 1984.

I recall you had to buy tickets in a block through the group sales office, so you couldn't just come to Grad Night by purchasing tickets; you had to get tickets through an organization affiliated with your school. I was the one that got our student council hooked up with the offices in Gurnee so our class could attend. I think we eventually had at least 25 or 30 people go.

One of my fondest memories was remembering the kids who, unfortunately learned the hard way that you really, really don't want to go on the water rides that late at night - you don't dry off. :D
Last edited by BillK on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

BillK wrote:One of my fondest memories was remembering the kids who, unfortunately learned the hard way that you really, really don't want to go on the water rides that late at night - you don't dry off. :D
LOL, many a time I would do exactly that, and would FREEZE the rest of the way home because the air conditioning would be on OR the windows would be open in the car. :D