Other Events During the Off Season

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Other Events During the Off Season

Post by JW65 »

One other bit of information I know about Gurnee's off season is that they host in-service/seminars and conferences for teachers. I want to say that these are held in the various auditoriums/theaters of the park. I never attended one of these meetiings at GA, but a few of my friends who are teachers in neighboring districts did.
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

theatre use other than for shows

Post by ewilson »

At the Santa Clara park for the last few years private events are the only thing being held in Thetre Royale. They have not had a show in that theatre for quite a while. I guess they have been making good money on the rentals of it, and why its destruction was narrowly averted recently.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

At the Gurnee Park, I attended an employee christmas party one evening during late december. It took place in Moosejaw/Snowshoe Salon, which was the only thing open for the party. I walked around a bit in the Yukon Territory. I remember that it was cold, dark, with a some snow on the ground.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Redfishpaw:

What year was this party? Too bad you didn't have a camera to take some pictures of the park with snow on the ground. Sounds like it would have been too dark to do so anyway. I see you've read my post for Gurnee Park in the Winter. Thanks for your reply.

Jeff
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I attended many a christmas party at the park during the off season. They were in December, and always in the Moosejaw/Snowshoe Salon.

The years I went were winter of 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992.

They always started around 6 or 7 pm ish, so yes, it was usually dark by then. I do recall a few years that there was quite a bit of snow on the ground. Employee's that attened the party years before 1988 told me that it was not uncommon to have a snowball fight in the park during the party.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

My first employee Chirstmas party was either in dec 85 or 86. Yes I do seem to remember a snowball fight. I worked at the park until 92 and I went to several of the parties, but I'm not sure if I went every year.