Gurnee park POSSIBLY in trouble for 2009

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Gurnee park POSSIBLY in trouble for 2009

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

I am starting to worry that the park is not going to make this year. I looked at the stock today and it was below a quarter. Anyone else have ideas on what could happen.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

I'm 99% confident SFGA will make it through the 2009 season. What happens after October depends on Six Flags Corporate financial position. They will milk every penny they can out of the parks this summer and if they still can't make their debt repayments, they'll probably file for bankruptcy after the summer season.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

I'm fairly confident that Great America will be around for many seasons to come. What I have doubts about is whether or not it will remain a Six Flags park. Six Flags is (and has for some time now) in a very bad situation and I doubt the sale of just the small parks will be enough once SF becomes unable to get any more credit. I think Great America may actually be much better off if it were no longer stuck with SF's 2 billion dollar debt, as they would be able to do away with SF's many cash-grabbing policys like $15 parking and mandatory lockers.
It's Whizzer time!
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

^ I agree with what you said. I hope that it stays open just not as a six flags park.
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Today the low was at .20. This is starting to look really bad. The average was at about .23
coasterfan71555
Gulf Coaster

Post by coasterfan71555 »

The Gurnee park is opening on Friday, April 3. Have no fear, folks. I and several friends feel confident that should Six Flags go bankrupt, they will survive, by unloading some assets, including parks. Gurnee's Great America is so well established, and offers a well-rounded assortment of attractions, if it goes on the market, another company will very likely take it over. We feel the most likely buyer would be a company with the initials "CF" because the acquisition of this park would give them a basic "lock" on the midwestern theme park market. To those who say nay, let's think about the fact that nobody ever thought they would acquire Kings Island, and look what they are adding there for this year. Great America will continue, no matter who owns it. I have full faith in this!
What a day, what a place! What a smile on my face! My first visit was June 21, 1976, when I was less than a month from turning 21!
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

^I hope you're right!
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

I just found this about the santa clara park. If they were to get rid of that for a stupid stadium I would be really upset.

http://www.sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9760
Angry_Gumball
Gulf Coaster

Post by Angry_Gumball »

Last I knew, they (NFL) were encouraging the 49ers to share a stadium with the Raiders, another Bay Area team right across the bay. As long as the park remains an amusement park and not a multi-level car park and business complex, then I'll be happy. I'd really hate to see a Bay Area staple go.
geostevphen
Gulf Coaster

SFGA

Post by geostevphen »

is one park in the USA that is situated in a location that needs a park of it's size and 'capture'. All the other local parks were run out of town on a rail when it opened. if it closed, someone didn't buy it, it would only be a matter of time before someone reinvented that wheel...and who ever that is, wouldn't let it happen...lest nothing more than a shortened season or reduced operation.
Folks, these are the WORST economic times of our lives...and our parents lives and our grandparents lives. There is no crystal ball as to what kinds of business will stay or go. Look at Coney Island! Look at Riverview!

Sentimental or not, GA, STL, even Dallas will all get the Ax before GA. GA used to be the number two cash cow behind MM and on occasions Jackson NJ. Sad to say, no one is sure....and you can't run a place like that on good intentions
"Get the hel* of that railing, it's already busted; Fat A**" Heard over the WWR PA System as I left the ride to go to lunch, July 1986