What's left from the Marriott era?

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

What's left from the Marriott era?

Post by Santa Cruisin »

What attractions and concessions from the "Marriott era" are still operating at the parks?

I think in Santa Clara it's:

Columbia Carousel
Rue Le Dodge
Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight
Orbit (Orleans Orbit-Name Change)
Centrifuge (Fliddler's Fling-Name Change)
Logger's Run (altered experience with Yankee Clipper removed)
Barney Oldfield Speedway (realigned to accomodate Grizzzly and 1 lane removed)
Demon

All of the theme areas are gone too except for Orleans Place which has been reduced in size. I think Pizza Orleans and Sticky Fingers are the only original concession stands. In fact the Santa Clara park seems to have very little "Americana" theming left in it.

Did I miss anything?

Anyone know about Gurnee? I know your park was left more intact.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

WOW! :shock: Is that really all that is left? I think the saddest thing was taking away the themed areas. I loved the music and atmosphere changes.
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Oops I forgot. The Sky Tower and Pictorium are still there.

Hometown Square had the train station and hill removed. it's now a wide open plaza from the Columbia to the Paramount Theater which used to be Grand Music Hall. Whizzer, Triple Play and Bottoms Up and the Fire Station are gone.

In Yankee Harbor the Tidal Wave, Yankee Clipper, Lobster and colonial theming are all gone. I think Yukon Territory is now the Nickelodeon area but it still has the Logger's Run.

It's like the park can't figure out what it wants to be. I think the Gurnee park probably fared better.
gothamkid120
Buzzy Bee

Post by gothamkid120 »

At the Gurnee Park they still have...hmmm let me see!

Columbia Carousel
Rue Le Dodge
Orbit (Orleans Orbit-Name Change)
Fiddlers Fling
Loggers Run
Ice Mountian Splash (Yankee Clipper-Name Change)
Demon
Whizzer
American Eagle
Great American Raceway (Barney Oldfield Speedway-Name Change and Realigned to accomodate Splashwater Falls and 1 lane removed)
Hometown Fun Machine
Triple Play
East River Crawler (Lobster-Name Change)
Whirligig
Great American Railroad
Sky Trek Tower
Pictorium

So basically the Gurnee park has indeed tryied its hardest to maintain its Original "Americana" feel. Oh and they have and it seems to begins to feel more and more like the Great American Park it once was everyday!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Santa Cruisin wrote:Oops I forgot. The Sky Tower and Pictorium are still there.

Hometown Square had the train station and hill removed. it's now a wide open plaza from the Columbia to the Paramount Theater which used to be Grand Music Hall. Whizzer, Triple Play and Bottoms Up and the Fire Station are gone.
Yes, the Pictorium is still there, but it's an empty, unused shell. It was taken out of service a few years ago. I understand that the screen and the IMAX equipment have all been removed. Regarding Hometown, the Fire Station is still there!

Steven
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Is the Pictorium still being used in Gurnee? Does anyone know?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Jeff,

Yes, the Gurnee Pictorium is still in operation. This season they are showing the NASCAR IMAX film.

Steven
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

steven wrote:Yes, the Pictorium is still there, but it's an empty, unused shell. It was taken out of service a few years ago. I understand that the screen and the IMAX equipment have all been removed. Regarding Hometown, the Fire Station is still there!

Steven
I think I need to go to PGA again. I haven't been there in a couple of years. I didn't realize they closed Pictorium. Last movie I saw there was "Speed". I assumed it was still in use.

What is the Fire Station used for these days?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Santa Cruisin wrote:What is the Fire Station used for these days?
I think it's used as a video game arcade.

Steven