An Honest Observation

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

xxlatinogueroxx wrote:Every year Six Flags has a press conference telling the attendance rates and for the past two years, the family rates have gone up.
Interesting and thanks for the info. I'd like to know what Santa Clara's PGA attendance stats are if anyone knows. I do agree with you that if Marriott still owned the parks they would have gone the same route as everyone else in building extreme thrills.

I think the coaster boom was like the arms race for theme parks and affected the way they grew. Who had the tallest, fastest, biggest, baddest, etc. Kind of like where you had Magic Mountain and Cedar Point battling it out for number of coasters.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I'm sure things have changed since I was there. Unfortunately a bad experience can leave a lasting impression.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

When I worked at Great America, I went constantly, but after leaving, my visits have been few and far between. Part of that is because of the cost ($40+ for a ticket is ridiculous if you ask me), and another part of that is because I've sort of moved on, as has been said. However, that doesn't change my love for the park, and doesn't change the fact that I've amassed a ridiculous amount of (useless) knowledge about the place from the time that I worked there!

I have to say that I am pleased that Six Flags, in all of its incarnations and ownerships, has tried hard to preserve the history and original concept of the park over the years. I'm a little concerned with the recent news about Six Flags being up for sale AGAIN, as that could always bring unwelcome change... but hopefully it's just a management switch and not a complete re-working of things.

Conversely, Paramount has all but destroyed the mystique of what Great America was. The park LOOKS great, but it just isn't Great America anymore. It's a nice looking park. That's about it.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

RLAiello,

Curious what type of work you did for SFGAm when you worked there.

Jeff
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

JW65 wrote:RLAiello,

Curious what type of work you did for SFGAm when you worked there.

Jeff
Hey Jeff... here's the rundown of all the jobs I held :)

1988-1989 - Front Gate (Lead in 1989)
1990-1995 - Cash Control
1996-1997 - Front Gate (Supervisor)
1997-1999 - Full Time Sales
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
NikkiJ8605
Gulf Coaster

Post by NikkiJ8605 »

I'm so glad I've found a group of people who are as into nostalgia (esp. about Great America!!) as I am. I've always thought that I was born too late (I was born in 1982) and the more I learn about the past (esp. SFGAM's past!) the more I think that. I swear I've tried every internet site looking for old pics of the park and I've loved every one of them and wish I could have been around when the park was Marriott's (or at least old enough to remember it). The earliest I can remember the park is the late 80s and I miss how it was then. I, too, am sick of all the "latest, trendiest" stuff that the park is doing. I am so sad that they added those 5 new rides this year(or was it last year?) Even though they are fun, they just don't seem to "fit in" with the park and my memories of it.
Anyhoo, I also have really enjoyed reading the posts from the former employees of the parks. Who has better information than you guys?!? :D Keep sharing with us! Let's try and keep nostalgia alive! Thanks everyone!