An Honest Observation

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

An Honest Observation

Post by JW65 »

Hi Everyone. I've observed, when reading all of the posts over the last two weeks, that many members of the forum do not visit PGA or SFGAm very much, or at all nowadays. We post messages here wanting to confirm which rides are still in operation or want to know answers to questions that we would know, if we went to the parks now.

Is this because we don't want to see how the parks have evolved over the years? Is it because we miss what MGA used to look like from years ago? I think so. I'd be interested in knowing what others think. It is kind of funny, with so many of us knowing such detailed information about the parks from the 70s, 80s and even 90s, that we don't know much about what's going on at them now. We do seem to care though. I didn't want to say that it is because we are getting older, and going to amusement parks is not what older people do. I will be 40 this year, and do not consider myself to be "older" yet. Hmmm. :?

I last visited SFGAm in the summer of 2001. I rode several roller coasters in succession and had to sit down to catch my breath after the fifth one. At the time I was 36 years old. I had a huge headache (probably because the last roller coaster I rode was Shock Wave)! I had to leave the park with my friend, who hadn't gotten his fill of rides yet. So, I have not been to the Gurnee park since. When I was there in 2001 the park had changed dramatically from what I remembered it looking like just two years before 2001. Bungee jumping, trapeze swinging, free falling,....Deja Vu....it wasn't! What new thrill did they want to throw at me next? It reminds me of the reality television some of us are watching these days. Can you imagine watching an episode of Fear Factor after seeing an episode of Little House on the Prairie? That is what it felt like the last time I went back and visited SFGAm. It was like an episode of Extreme Home Makeover. You know, the show where they demolish a house, completely rebuild it so that the owners don't recognize it. The owners initially love it, but then realize they can't afford the prize taxes, new real estate taxes, and higher maintenance costs. Then they come to realize that this new house was so quickly constructed that they have to have many repairs done to it the first year they live in it. I am rambling now. :P
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

JW65, Great observation. I love your enthusiam for this board.

I'm 45 years old and still go to theme and amusement parks a few times a year. I less live than an hour's drive from PGA, but still prefer to go to Southern California because the parks there are better IMHO. I make it to Disneyland twice a year and drop by an additional park while down there alternating between SFMM, Knott's and Universal. The only parks I enjoy in Northern California where I live are Bonfante Gardens and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Like I said in an earlier post, PGA doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. There's also no attractions with the "WOW" factor. On the thrill side no coaster is over 102 ft. and there are so few of them. The theming and organization seem weak to non-existant with the exception of Nickelodeon Central and Boomerang Bay. Last but most important, the personnel there seemed indifferent and sometimes rude.

Other parks in California:

Disneyland - I grew up on this since 1962. It's still my favorite.

Knott's Berry Farm - the best old west theming I've seen in a theme park - I love Ghost Town.

Magic Mountain - Lacks good theming, but the sheer volume of mega thrills in this place can not be matched on the west coast.

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - great old seaside amusement park, a rare thing on the west coast.

Bonfante Gardens - Beautiful gardens and relaxed atmosphere.

Six Flags Marine World - another park that like PGA doesn't draw me.

I'm not saying that PGA is a bad park, but in California it's one of the weakest. I was always disappointed that Marriott didn't keep their enthusiam going for GA. WIth the exception of Disneyland, I always thought it had the most potential to become something spectular. I certainly thought it was in the 70's.

The company I work for has been offering half-price tickets to the park. I think it's time I pay a visit to PGA again. It's been a few years.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

Interesting subject....

I have since moved out of the state. I have three kids, so going to an amusement park is not a stretch for us. The last time I went to Great America I was so disgusted that I have no need to return. It sounds like they may have cleaned some things up since then. I remember the paint peeling and the Columbia brass tarnished and carpets stained. The employees were rude and didn't seem to know what they were doing. I am also disappointed with just about everything Paramount has done to the park. Marriott's Great America was a true Theme Park. Not a thrill park or an amusement park. I miss that. :(

I do love Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland. Been going to those places since I was in diapers.
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Tanya wrote:The last time I went to Great America I was so disgusted that I have no need to return. It sounds like they may have cleaned some things up since then..
Those were my exact sentiments about the place in the early 90's. It has improved slightly since then, but I still found the employees to be indifferent and rude in 2002 when I last went.

I remember when it was the 25th Anniversary of the park in 2001. They had a small exhibit in the old Trolley station in Carousel Plaza. It had some great pictures and essays on the history of the park. The sad thing was nobody went in there to look at them. I think 99.9% of the patrons didn't give a hoot.

The park no longer promotes nostagia like it used to. It's more about the latest trends and popular shows. But I guess that's what it takes to stay in business.
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Post by ewilson »

It was in the '90s that I last visited. It was so depressing to see closed buildings, others falling apart. The Music Hall show only had 6 people in the cast with a false procenium to make the opening smaller. There was no character show, no street entertainment, no parade, no fireworks. There were no restraunts with good food. All attention was on thrill rides only. If I want thrill rides I will go to Magic Mountain. After leaving at the end of the day I said I would never return, and keep the old memories of when it was a GREAT America.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

I still can have a fun time at PGA, I try to ride the older rides such as the loggers run, demon, sky tower, etc. While some employees can be rude, I had plenty of good experiences with the employees. My biggest complaint is that the park changes too much and too many classic rides are removed.
I like riding the train, or the trolley, or the triple wheel, but I never can again. I guess this is why disneyland has more visitors, because many of the rides are over 25 years old. I would say that PGA (I have never been to SFGA), is fun to visit every 4 or 5 years, but not every year.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Jeff,

Many people may have moved away or just got out of the habit of visiting the parks. I've heard from people from the original Marriott days who haven't been back since. They want to keep it that way so as to better preserve their memories of the way that it was. Others accept the changes as inevitable and still visit the parks for the things that they find enjoyable in the parks as they are today. The main thing to keep in mind is that the parks are businesses and their owners run them as they best see fit. They have to evolve and adapt to remain competitive in today's environment.

Regarding the Santa Clara park, there have been differing management philosophies over the years. Sometimes the park wasn't necessarily taken in the best direction. Now they seem to be on track to improve the park's overall appeal, particularly the appeal to families. Also, shows have been upgraded in recent years. Back in the late '90s there was a time when the Grand Music Hall was dark. There weren't any shows inside. The performances took place outside on the steps. Now the inside has been refurbished and live shows are on the stage once again. It would be nice to see the Showtime Theater (nee Theatre Royale) returned to service as a regular show venue. I also miss the Pictorium. A parade has returned, however, even though it's for a limited run.

The park today actually looks very nice! The two photos above are from 2004. More photos of Santa Clara in 2004 are in a little-known photo gallery tucked away here: http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/misc/pga2004/

Steven
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Steve,

What do you think of the removal of the Railroad? I actually like it better because it opened up the area behind Columbia. Visually it looks great.

Any of you Gurnee people have thoughts about the current state of your park? I've always envied tha fact that you guys have American Eagle, Raging Bull and Southwest Territory.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Santa Cruisin wrote:What do you think of the removal of the Railroad?
Let's just say that I would have voted in favor of keeping the train. The new openness behind the Columbia does make for an entirely different feeling. Still, I'd rather have it the old way.

Steven
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

The first time that I went to Great America (I've only ever been to the Gurnee park) was after Six Flags took over... but many of the classics were still there -- Tidal Wave, Sky Whirl, etc.. I never got to visit the park while it was under Marriott, but I still feel like those first times that I did visit were 'Marriott days' in a sense... as compared to how the park has evolved since the 90's.

Like many other parks, it seems that they started to focus so much on thrills and constant bombardment of the senses through media, etc., that they lost that special 'family' feeling and sense of awe you get when you enter a park where the theming, rides, food, shows, and employees all come together to create a special place to spend the day (or two!).

A good friend and I have visited a fair number of parks over the past few years, and it seems like they have been getting louder and more 'in-your-face.' There is constant media bombardment everywhere you turn... from televisions in the queues to loud, trashy music/gifts in the souvenir shops. This is similar to the earlier mention about going from Little House on the Prairie to Fear Factor. Trust me, I'm not a Fear Factor kind of guy. I do not like 'reality' TV. In fact, I don't even own a working TV (which is good because I spend enough time in front of the computer as it is)!

In 2004, SFGAm blasted that "We Like to Party" song by the Vengaboys through huge speakers next to Columbia upon entering the park. It was so loud that my friend and I had to plug our hears when passing just to make it into Hometown Square or Orleans Place. That driving beat was so intense that I feared that my heart might beat irregularly. We then heard that song about 15 times throughout the day as it was pumped through the little speakers throughout the park. When we left for the day, the loud music was again coming out near Columbia, and we had to walk past it to leave (with our ears plugged, of course).

Anymore, we prefer the smaller, more laid-back parks that maintain a sense of nostalgia. However... some of these parks, too, seem to be getting a little media crazy as well (I'm supposing that this is an effort to attract teenagers and stay competitive). Let's just say that I'm not a fan of the media and 'popular' culture as it's fed to us these days.

I wish to someday visit the Santa Clara park and see how it's evolved compared to Gurnee. I have a feeling that the Gurnee park is a lot more like it was in the Marriott days than its Californian counterpart. A bonus about Gurnee is that the different themed areas are still intact (plus the SW Territory)... along with Scenic Railway, Whizzer, etc. to keep that 'old-time' feeling.
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Wow,

You guys have blown me away with your input/responses to my original post. Much to ponder and it all makes sense. One more observation is that we are all very well versed in how we write posts/responses!

Jeff
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Post by xxlatinogueroxx »

To be honest with you guys I like SFGAm the way it is now. However, the Marriott days sound "great." This season not only the ride ops, but the employees are kind and great with the guests, not all. The ride ops do entertain the guests more talking to the mic and and guests while waiting in line. You got to remember though that you are in a new generation of teens where a lot of them disrespect and cannot take orders. Back in the 70's it seemed that teens were nicer than it is now. But didnt Marriott used to hire college students? Maybe thats why it seems different than it was back in the good ol' days :lol:
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I was 16 when I started there. Kids are different now, that's for sure.
rich12_16
Gulf Coaster

Post by rich12_16 »

I first of all, would like to say, that I am extremely pleased to be talking with such wonderful people, who can share with me the memories I never had, as I am only 16, but am extremely interested in these two once wonderful parks, and The Gurnee park still is VERY, VERY impressive, and as I have observed, through pictures, going to the park, and reading, is almost as wonderful as it once was. I currently hold a Six Flags Season Pass to Great America Gurnee. I am horribly dissapointed it the Paramount Park's recent descisions, that park is a MESS. The train bye bye, no Sky Whirl (Gurnee Either) and no Whizzer, they are loosing there themeing more and more, removal of the water rides, and many other things. I will NEVER visit that park Santa Clara park again. I am glad I live near the Great America that still has it's 70's charm with a little future also. It still has most of it's original themeing, and more added to it, although the Yankee Harbor is loosing some of it's themeing, it still has that Great America feel. The Whizzer, and the Railroad still remain. (Rumors are that the Whizzer will be going bye bye soon) and all of the original themeing. Most of the old rides and more. The employee's are very nice and that park has Great Management, Hurricane Harbor is wonderful also. Can someone also tell me if Ameri-Go-round at Paramounts Great America still remains? If you haven't, please take a trip to the Gurnee Great America and see how it is for yourself. You won't be dissapointed, (unless you dis-like crowds of people). Thank You for your time and the wonderful existance of this amazing website.
Paramount's Great America dissapoints me.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

Hi Rich, they took out Ameri-go-round a long, long time ago.