American Eagle Model

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Consulate
Buzzy Bee

American Eagle Model

Post by Consulate »

I was reading an article about a model of the American Eagle that was operating at a mall before the ride opened. http://c-24-15-195-209.client.comcast.n ... model.jpeg
I was wondering if anyone knows weather or not this model still exsists and if so where it may be? Thanks
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I don't know the status of that model. But I do know that an MGA fan built a similar model of the American Eagle that was very impressive. He said that it was eleven feet long. He sent me a photo of it a while back. I'll email him to ask about posting the photo for everyone to see.

Steven
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

My understanding is that model is at the park, back in one of the administrative buildings.

When that model was on tour, I remember going to see it, and it was very impressive. I don't believe it operated, though.

From my conversations with the parks public relations department, there are plans in the works for the park to display that model during the 2006 season, as that will be Eagle's 25th anniversary.

If I find out any more, I'll post it here.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

That would be cool to see that model! Eagle really should get some TLC for 2006 (new paint).
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

jonrev wrote:That would be cool to see that model! Eagle really should get some TLC for 2006 (new paint).
Many years ago, before the Web was even around in full force, I somehow got in contact with a member of ACE. He sent me a bunch of photocopied Marriott information and pictures.

A good portion of those pictures were of the Eagle-- from construction to opening day. I was recently going through my "Great America Box" to see what trinkets I could share on these boards, and I came upon this picture:

Sure looks like a model to me. :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

That's the one!

:D

As I said above, the park still has that model in storage at the park, and plans are in the works to have it on display during the 2006 season.
Mr. Brian Plencner
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

RLAiello,

It would really be cool to see some construction and opening day photos of American Eagle! Could you post a few?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Very nice photo of the eagle model, thankyou for sharing it.
Arrow Guy
Gulf Coaster

Post by Arrow Guy »

*bump* Just wondering if the model is on display this year.

The above photo, along with several others of Eagle going up, can be seen in one of the true "bibles" of the coaster world: The Incredible Scream Machine by Robert Cartmell.
Brad Sherman
Coaster modeler and overall park addict
Only 3 hours from Gurnee's Tidal Wave!
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

My understanding from the PR department and others was that it was suppose to be on display this season.

I do know that for the Employee Rehire Party, they did pull it out.

Currently, it is still in the back areas of the park. I am not sure if the park will pull it out or not.

The next time I'm out at the park, I will look into this, and let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks,

---Brian

EDIT: As promised, here is a picture of the AE Model from the Employee Rehire Party.

I will say that I did not take this picture, so I would like to give credit to who ever did.

Last edited by BrianPlencner on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Brian Plencner
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I have been to the park at least a dozen times and the AE model is NOT on display, niether is the 1978 park model that was at the Employee Rehire Party. :(
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Arrow Guy
Gulf Coaster

Post by Arrow Guy »

Thanks for the pics Brian! Looks even better in color. :D
Brad Sherman
Coaster modeler and overall park addict
Only 3 hours from Gurnee's Tidal Wave!