santa clara scrapped ride pile

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

santa clara scrapped ride pile

Post by imdaman »

In 1999 until the middle of summer 2000, there was a large pile of dismantled rides in the back of the parking lot, fenced off. I believe the pile included the Edge, Yankee Clipper, the Triple Wheel, and maybe another one. I was wondering if anyone got a picture of that pile??
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi!

There are some photos of the "bone yard" here:
http://www.srcphotography.com/gallery/t ... =25&page=1

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Steven, thanks for posting that link, the boneyard is exactly as I remember it! The pile of rides I was referring too was actually in the parking lot, taking up about a hundred parking spots, surrounded by a chainlink fence. It was next to the redwood ampitheater, does anyone out there have pictures of that pile? It was depressing but very interesting at the same time, I hope someone can post some pictures of it!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

That's how the Santa Clara bone yard WAS. All of that stuff has been cleared out of there. The water park expanded this year into part of that area.

Regarding the parking lot, the Yankee Clipper, was put out there -- in pieces -- after its removal for STEALTH. I have photos of it in the parking lot, but they're not scanned and not online. I haven't seen any others online anywhere that I recall. If I find my photos again, I'll see about scanning some of them. Yankee Clipper didn't stay in the parking lot for long. Soon it was removed and the arriving pieces of STEALTH were initially stored in the same area.

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

I'm sure a lot of us would enjoy seeing those photos if you can find them, I'm glad you took them! As for the pile, the yankee clipper was in the front near the fence, but if the photos are at the right angle, you will see parts of the other rides I mentioned, which I know for sure were in the pile.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I'll try to find those photos, although it's easier said than done. I remember that the Yankee Clipper's boats were lined up along the edge of the parking lot. There were shots from many angles, but I don't recall seeing parts for anything other than Clipper. A look at the photos should resolve any doubts!

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Thanks Steven, good luck I hope you find them! Yes I remember clearly the boats being stacked up, and actually I was working when the pile was removed..... It only took one day to load everything onto flatbeds and away they went.
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

Prior to dismantling the Yankee Clipper, I do not remember seeing parts of rides in the parking lot there. I remember seeing the Clipper there and then disappearing within a few months. I don't remember seeing any other ride parts, other then the Stealth parts as they were assembly this ride.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Steven, have you had any luck finding the pictures?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

imdaman wrote:Steven, have you had any luck finding the pictures?
Not yet. Whenever I find them, I'll let everyone know.

Steven
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

This is from December of 1998. As I remembered, only pieces of Yankee Clipper were in the parking lot.

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photo Steven, I hope that the ride was relocated somewhere. I wish someone knew what happened to it.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Sadly, it was scrapped.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

jonrev wrote:Sadly, it was scrapped.
Are you sure? Steven said earlier that he didn't think that the PGA Clipper was scrapped. (This was actually the question I had asked in my very first post.)
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Someone from the park told me that it was sold to a park outside the United States. I'd like to know more about what became of the ride.

Steven