Gurnee Edge Photos - Dialup beware!

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Gurnee Edge Photos - Dialup beware!

Post by RandyV »

Here are some pictures form my collection of The Edge in Gurnee. Sorry for the poor quality. The source photos weren't that good to begin with (shot with 110 Kodak instant) and my scanner seemed to make it worse. I need to take a class in PhotoShop one of these days.

Enjoy!

Randy

If you read my other post about the accident, notice in this next picture, the car I'm riding in is already backing into the lift tower before the previous car has reached top and moved out onto the platform...

steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Randy!

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Very nice set Randy. I especially like the aerial vew, Thanks.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I agree. A good collection of pictures Randy.

Also of note is that the pictures are from a couple different seasons. In the 1st and 3rd pictures, you can see a cabin from the Eagles Flight/Delta Flyer sky ride. But, in the 2nd picture (the aerial view), one will notice that the white tower directly behind Cagin Cliffhanger has been converted into an emergency light tower (you can kind of see the giant spot ligts on the top).
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I never knew they used the same quene house for Power Dive after Edge left. Awesome pics.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

BrianPlencner wrote:Also of note is that the pictures are from a couple different seasons. In the 1st and 3rd pictures, you can see a cabin from the Eagles Flight/Delta Flyer sky ride. But, in the 2nd picture (the aerial view), one will notice that the white tower directly behind Cagin Cliffhanger has been converted into an emergency light tower (you can kind of see the giant spot ligts on the top).
Yes, it was refreshing to see my old Gurnee Eagle's Flight / Delta Flyer in those photos. The sight of the decapitated tower, however, converted into a giant light pole was sad to see.

Steven
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Glad to share with everyone! You all have good eyes -- the pictures are from various seasons. The arial shot was taken from Sky Trek Tower (think that was the operating name at the time) probably in '84 when The Edge was still down due to the accident. The others were from '83.

Power Dive was such a lame replacement for the FreeFall. :)
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

I know right...lets get rid of this awesome ride, because people don't trust it, and put in this ride that will 1. Squish women's boobs, 2. smash a mans bits and pieces, and 3. make everyone feel the need to pee from the constant pressure on their bladder, and possibly puke, and we'll call it Power Dive.

REALLY was not sad to see that ride make it's way into Great American history. Strangly pointing out the difference between mothers and daughters.....mymom was pretty heartbroken over it. For some strange reason it was her favorite ride??????? :o
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I didn't realize that at one time the tallest point of Tidal Wave overlooked the tower of The Edge . Thanks to Randy's aerial shot of The Edge, I now do.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Jeff,

That's the back end of the Tidal Wave, which was not as tall as the front end.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Does any one have a picture of power dive in The Edge's place?
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Hi back Steven!

I guess I was all "turned around"! The orientation of The Tidal Wave always baffled me, especially when I was a teen, trying to find it in the park.

This Forum is really been a fun way to remember all the good things MGA had to offer us when we didn't realize how good we had it! Thanks to everyone who participates and makes this a fun place to visit. Where has Tanya been lately?

Jeff
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Shockwavegirl wrote:I know right...lets get rid of this awesome ride, because people don't trust it, and put in this ride that will 1. Squish women's boobs, 2. smash a mans bits and pieces, and 3. make everyone feel the need to pee from the constant pressure on their bladder, and possibly puke, and we'll call it Power Dive.
:lol: I'm with you on that. Didn't they used to play Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone" or something in the queue? Yeah, like Power Dive was anything like launching off of a aircraft carrier! As a member of the male team, I do remember those lap restraints being a bit snug. :)
Randy V.
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

that_guy wrote:Does any one have a picture of power dive in The Edge's place?
Thought I had an arial of this, but can't find it ... seems like I'm missing an album somewhere. For that matter, I don't have any pictures of Power Dive. Have to check my press kits...
Randy V.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I did ride Power Dive and loved it, but I'd much rather see Edge back.

Did anyone hear Edge is back up for sale? This is its last year at Geauga Lake!
^I hope you're reading this Six Flags... :D
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007