30th Anniversary Survey

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

30th Anniversary Survey

Post by UAORDStew »

I accidently posted this in the Rides section the first time....oops..

With this upcoming season being the 30th Anniversary for the parks.......what would be YOUR best 30th idea?? Bring back the old logo?? Have Bugs back in his "original" park costume? Bring back Nemo and Neptune in the Wilderness Theatre??? Do a show in the Music Hall retrospecting all the past shows? Or do something completely new?? Now...let's not get way crazy on the new stuff!! LOL!! Adding new attractions/rides/venues would obviously be way out of the realm of this fun survey!! LOL!!!

What are your idea(s)??? Let's hear some fun ones!!
Todd Doerge
SFGA 1986-1993, 2001-current
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Easy to do would be a retrospective of some of the past IMAX movies that were shown in the Pictorium. Perhaps 4 different ones playing at different times throughout the day. This might encourage PGA to reopen their Pictorium. Demon theming similar to when it opened would be another great idea.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Re Paint Whizzer to its original paint scheme
Bring back ALL of Demon's theming
Play a history of Great America movie in the pictorium
Restore all of the parks theming
Get a Marriott show like Silver Screen in the Grand Music Hall
Last edited by jonrev on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Post by ewilson »

Have a promotional day where all the past employees could come to the park for free and have a big party.
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

30 years of employees for not just one, but two parks??? WOW...that would be a major undertaking i'm sure!! ewilson....you up for that challenge??? LOL!!! nice thought, but i doubt that would remotely happen. full-time mgmt employees, a slim maybe. seasonal employees...i really highly doubt.
Todd Doerge
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

sorry for the extra post.....i'm new to this....but i forgot to give an answer to jw65......

How that would be a nice touch with Picto.....do you know how large those reels are to change every hour with that IMAX film?? LOL!! PHEW!! i worked in Picto back in 1987 and knew the techies well. We had 2 shows a day....."The Dream Is Alive" and "On the Wing". Our projector had two levels, so with 2 films, they could change easily from one to other by allowing the film to move up to the lens from the lower reel bay area. But to have 4 shows....dang!! That's a lot of work. Let alone I'm pretty sure the parks do not own any of the IMAX films, so to rent each one may cost a pretty penny. Just my thought........

Keep them coming!! These are great ideas though!! Don't be shy!! Christmas is just around the corner!!! You never know what could happen!!

LOL!!

Todd
Todd Doerge
AmEagleFan1
Buzzy Bee

Post by AmEagleFan1 »

I think some of the old "GREAT AMERICA" logos should be used. Like the center spoke on Orbit. The letters underneath Tower should spell out GREAT AMERICA-like it used to be once upon a time. Bring back some of the old costumes-especially Batman's. LOL! The HUGE old souvenir maps that were drawn with better detail than the maps that are given out today. Keep the Demon theming!!! It's was themed like it was for a reason!!

So, that's when you were working at the park,Todd? I wish I was in rides back then as well as, the early 00's. But, west was still a blast!!!
"Take a journey on the merry-go-round..."
Coaster alex0805
Buzzy Bee

Post by Coaster alex0805 »

:D
06?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

UAORDStew wrote: but i doubt that would remotely happen. full-time mgmt employees, a slim maybe. seasonal employees...i really highly doubt.
Most of the full time mgmt employees I know who used to work at the park pretty much keep their distance from the park these days (even if they live minutes away from the park) Mgmt work experience is different than seasonal work experience (someone from mgmt used to remind me of this). It seems to me that the seasonal employees have a greater fondness for the park. I do recognize one member of this forum who was full time in gurnee for a while, maybe he'll comment on this.
coasterfan71555
Gulf Coaster

Post by coasterfan71555 »

My mind reels with things the park could do to celebrate its 30th anniversary. My home park is in Gurnee. I would love to see a new, state of the art coaster. I would also like to see a REAL music show in the Grand Music Hall, a retrospective of the 30 years of history that the park has given us. I would love to see a GREAT selection of souvenir items, shirts, collectibles, and the like, with a special 30th logo, featuring Columbia in all its glory. The nightly summer parade could salute the 30 years, and showcase the Looney Tunes characters in the fashion that Marriott used, and I would LOVE to see Bugs Bunny in his original, bicentennial costume. As I look back, the memories flood in, and I realize how much this park means to me. It has been my summer "home" for many years! Thank you, Marriott, for building this park and making it the special place that it is, continues to be, and hopefully, will be, for many more years to come! :D :D :D
What a day, what a place! What a smile on my face! My first visit was June 21, 1976, when I was less than a month from turning 21!
binks drake
Gulf Coaster

Post by binks drake »

It really wouldn't surprise me if there was a new parade. I can see bugs in his old Uncle sam outlet, And considering we have a new CEO and everything. (At the Gurnee Park), who is very focused on Entertainment, i imagine we'll have a very large show budget this year. It'll probably be pretty spectacular.

I think it would be a great Idea to get a show in the pictorium. "30 Years of Thrills" celebrating the two parks up until they were sold, and then just the Six Flags park. (because why would they promote Paramount?) I think that would be a popular idea. (Especially after that awful Nascar show this year)
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Post by xxlatinogueroxx »

I like your idea on the IMAX and the Bugs Bunny outfit...
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

binks drake wrote:It really wouldn't surprise me if there was a new parade. I can see bugs in his old Uncle sam outlet, And considering we have a new CEO and everything. (At the Gurnee Park), who is very focused on Entertainment, i imagine we'll have a very large show budget this year. It'll probably be pretty spectacular.

I think it would be a great Idea to get a show in the pictorium. "30 Years of Thrills" celebrating the two parks up until they were sold, and then just the Six Flags park. (because why would they promote Paramount?) I think that would be a popular idea. (Especially after that awful Nascar show this year)
Sounds like a good idea.

(The NASCAR show was awful?! I liked it.)
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
binks drake
Gulf Coaster

Post by binks drake »

I fell asleep during that show.
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

Post by pjm8071 »

How about putting back in a long lost, and missed ride... Like the southern cross leading to a finished southwest territory. Or Tidal Wave... I hear Astroworld has one up for auction. :D