Bugs Bunny & Six Flags

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

Bugs Bunny & Six Flags

Post by pjm8071 »

Does anyone know if Six Flags got the rights to use Bugs Bunny in their parks nationwide when they bought out Great America in Gurnee? What about the Santa Clara park? After Marriotts sold them, and before they were bought by Paramount were they still able to use the Looney Tunes characters? Inquiring minds want to know.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Re: Bugs Bunny & Six Flags

Post by RLAiello »

pjm8071 wrote:Does anyone know if Six Flags got the rights to use Bugs Bunny in their parks nationwide when they bought out Great America in Gurnee? What about the Santa Clara park? After Marriotts sold them, and before they were bought by Paramount were they still able to use the Looney Tunes characters? Inquiring minds want to know.
When Six Flags bought the Gurnee Great America, they also purchased the rights to the Looney Toons characters for all of their parks. I don't know what Santa Clara's situation was when they were first sold, but soon after they were featuring Hanna Barbara characters instead of Looney Toons (especially once Taft/Kings started running the park) but I don't know specifics about that.

So it's fairly safe to say that Six Flags wouldn't be where they are today if they had never bought the Gurnee Great America.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
AmEagleFan1
Buzzy Bee

Post by AmEagleFan1 »

Wow
"Take a journey on the merry-go-round..."
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Post by xxlatinogueroxx »

Was the first Six Flags, Six Flags Over Texas, didnt they have Luney Toons Characters too?
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

No, the original 3 Six Flags parks (Texas, Georgia, & Mid-America...now St. Louis) featured Sid & Marty Krofft characters. The characters I remember were named H.R. Puffin Stuff and Witchipoo. I never liked those characters but they used to have a Saturday morning tv show in the early 1970's. Marriott's had the rights to Warner Brothers Looney Tunes, and Taft/Kings Entertainment Company had the rights to Hanna-Barbera characters.

Six Flags acquired the rights to the Looney Tunes when they purchased the Gurnee park. The California park was purchased by the city of Santa Clara and the city hired Kings Entertainment to manage the park so as soon as the park was sold, the Looney Tune characters disappeared and the Hanna-Barbera characters showed up in the park.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"