Ferris Wheel

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

In Gurnee, the Eagle's Flight crew also had to operate the Ferris Wheel. I was glad that I got to work Eagle's Flight before the Ferris Wheel was added. ;-)

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Interesting point. Some of the smaller rides were put together in groups so ride team would operate 2 or 3 rides. For example In Yankee Harbor; The Yankee Clipper was a stand alone and so was Tidal Wave I think, but the Lobster Team was responsible for running Buzzy Bee. I had to fill in for someone one Buzzy Bee for a day. Way exciting (not).
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

BrianPlencner wrote:I know in later years, former park president and GM Jim Wintrode kept saying that he wanted a Ferris Wheel back in the park, but he never got his wish. Jim left the park at the end of the 2003 (?) season.
I was able to talk to Jim in 2003 when he was in front of the Grand Music Hall looking at the crowd. I talked to him about Sky Whirl and he said he didn't want to remove it but he had to. He then mentioned that he wanted to try and put it back up in the park somewhere. If he didn't retire for health reasons I wonder if he would have put Sky Whirl or another ferris wheel in the park. I talked to Jim during the summer in front of the Mardis Gras stage and he was doing good. The GM position is open so maybe Jim might be intersted in returning since his health has improved. If he returned we could finally ride a ferris wheel at the park again.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Re: Ferris Wheel

Post by Tech Services 1 »

RLAiello wrote:I remember reading somewhere (and I can't remember where) that the ferris wheel was removed when they built Z-Force. They did move the train station, which is why the ferris wheel was removed. (I have to wonder if they actually physically MOVED the building or just built a new one to exactly match the original?)

The ferris wheel was then moved to Six Flags Autoworld, the profoundly failed venture they had in Flint, Michigan. (It was featured in Michael Moore's movie "Roger & Me" and the Ferris Wheel was even shown in a scene.)

History galore!
The train station was indeed moved. Check out my photo album- "Rides- Installations & demolitions"

Funny you mentioned Autoworld- I thought my co-workers and I were the only people who visited that place, judging by the speed at which it tanked.
No, wait- we did see four or five other people walking around in there, so maybe that was you?
:D

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Was Whirlgig also removed in preperation for Z Force?
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

that_guy wrote:Was Whirlgig also removed in preperation for Z Force?
Yep. Check out my photo album for a view of the Whirligig's guts.
Bet you didn't know it was green inside!

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Re: Ferris Wheel

Post by RLAiello »

Tech Services 1 wrote:
RLAiello wrote:I remember reading somewhere (and I can't remember where) that the ferris wheel was removed when they built Z-Force. They did move the train station, which is why the ferris wheel was removed. (I have to wonder if they actually physically MOVED the building or just built a new one to exactly match the original?)

The ferris wheel was then moved to Six Flags Autoworld, the profoundly failed venture they had in Flint, Michigan. (It was featured in Michael Moore's movie "Roger & Me" and the Ferris Wheel was even shown in a scene.)

History galore!
The train station was indeed moved. Check out my photo album- "Rides- Installations & demolitions"

Funny you mentioned Autoworld- I thought my co-workers and I were the only people who visited that place, judging by the speed at which it tanked.
No, wait- we did see four or five other people walking around in there, so maybe that was you?
:D

PPG
Nah, wasn't me. I just remember hearing about the place. In fact, when I started in 1988, Autoworld was still featured on some Six Flags merchandise, maps, bags, etc. Interestingly enough, it never spoken of again. Wonder why. ;-)

And that pic of the train station moving absolutely ROCKS. I remember looking at the aerial pics in the Admin building thinking "Now wait a minute... one year it's THERE... and then the next year it's THERE..." How cool that they actually MOVED the thing and didn't dismantle it or build some lame replacement. :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Tech Services 1 wrote: Yep. Check out my photo album for a view of the Whirligig's guts.
Bet you didn't know it was green inside!
PPG
I think over the years they painted the center of it. Here is a picture from May of 2001 when they moved it back in front of Batman. Season opened, and the ride was not quite ready yet.

===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

In my opinion, I just think it was redundant to have a Ferris wheel when both parks already had Sky Whirl. :?
I miss Tidal Wave
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

I don't remember the ferris wheel at the SC park. Then again, I was born in 79, so I may have been removed before I could see it (Or remember seeing it).
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

PGA ROCKS wrote:In my opinion, I just think it was redundant to have a Ferris wheel when both parks already had Sky Whirl. :?
I remember the carnival like ferris wheel they had next to the train station. I think they had it to fit the county fair theme. I used to also wonder why they had that when they already had the masterpiece of ferris wheels in Sky Whirl... Of course, now with the boneheaded decision to get rid of Sky Whirl for a huge green and blue lawn ornament that only works half the time, we could really use another ferris wheel! My suggestion would be to get rid of that silly King Chaos ride, and put a huge wheel, like the one at SF St Louis right there! I think that would look nice with the whole Mardi Gras carnival theme going on there!
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Gurnee Ferris Wheel

Post by WestBurbs14 »

There was a safety incident on the Gurnee Ferris Wheel. I remember seeing a picture of it on a Chicago news program. Someone was hanging from the ride. As I remember, no one was hurt, but I would guess that this is what caused the ride's disappearance.