Larry the Area Host...

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Mat
Gulf Coaster

Larry the Area Host...

Post by Mat »

Last week I was having lunch at the local Burger King and I saw a face that I had not seen in years. It was Larry, an Area Host that I remembered working with back in 1983. If you recall, an Area Host was a glorified name for the park sweepers that kept MGA beautiful and shinning.

Larry was an easy guy to remember.

While most sweepers at the time were young high school students, Larry was already an adult with a quiet energy and a passion for his work. While I tended to my Amazing Alfredo duties, I would often see Larry with his broom and dust catcher impeccably cleaning his assigned area. I would often say hello to Larry and he would just smile back and get back to work. Later I found out that Larry was mentally handicapped but was self sufficient enough to get himself to work everyday (by several county buses I later learned) and he was able to follow simple directions that allowed him to do his job….wonderfully, I might add. Someone told me that he had been employed by Marriott’s since the park opened in 1976. At that time there were a few people that worked continuously since that park opened, but they were mostly managers and supervisors. Larry simply was happy keeping the park cleaned for the thousands of guests that enjoyed it each year.

When I saw Larry at Burger King I approached him on the way out and re-introduced myself to him. He looked up and smiled like he remembered working with me. As we shared a couple of minutes at the restaurant, Larry told with that after 29 years, he still works at Great America. They are no longer called Area Hosts, but now “Ecologists” Larry said that the park has changed a lot through out the years, but he still loves getting on the bus and heading out to his favorite place to work, Great America.

So many things have changed at my once favorite place, but it is very refreshing to know that one has remained the same; Larry the Area Host.

Mat
Amazing Alfredo-Games-Santa Clara-1983
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

Larry is an awesome associate. A hard worker to this day. I always make sure to say Hello in the morning as does he. Thats awesome to hear about your experience with him.
-RD
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

I love this story... it's so touching and sweet. Thank you SO much for sharing it with us!!!
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

OMG! I remember Larry!

Post by retlawfan »

OMG! I remember Larry. I saw him almost daily when I worked at GA from 1989-1992. He always had an energy to him that most never had or had lost. There is one thing that Larry always has with him, that many employees leave at home...his SMILE. I'm glad to hear that he is still there. At least there is one person who will smile at you when you go there.

:D
tasod
Gulf Coaster

Post by tasod »

I have to add another - OMG - As soon as I saw this thread title the light clicked on! I also remember him there at the park when I was there (80 - 89). That is great his is still there...
1980 - 1989 Santa Clara - Retail Employee
(Started in Magic) Resale Training Supe.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Last edited by SFGAmfreak4life on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

You read it here first!!!

Post by retlawfan »

Saw this in today's San Jose Mercury News.

Remember, you read it here first!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 859214.htm
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
Mat
Gulf Coaster

Great Article

Post by Mat »

I emailed the columnist from the Merc a few weeks back about doing a story on Larry for his weekly column. I was surprised when Mike Cassidy contacted me right away. He spent a lot of time with Larry and came back to me saying that it would be great piece to run in the paper. I couldn’t agree more.

Mat
Amazing Alfredo-Games-Santa Clara-1983
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

What a wonderful story! And even a little 'plug' for this site. ;)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thank you, Mat, for making it possible for Larry to get such great recognition! This is a true "30th Anniversary Season" story. I'm glad that this site was included as part of the story. Thanks again!

Steven
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

This is an awesome story. I know Larry personally from my work at the park, and Larry is one hell of a guy.

Thanks for giving Larry the recongnition he deserves!

-RD
Crzy4coasters
Buzzy Bee

Post by Crzy4coasters »

I was one of Larry's arehosting leads back in 97. He's a fun guy to work with. Always made work fun.
eight10
Gulf Coaster

Post by eight10 »

I got to know Larry back when Ecology or Area Hosting was a part of Rides. Great guy and still smiles and says hello every time he sees me.